We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches and road closures

cypress, tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
beaches and road closures

I've seen a few messages talking about road and beach closures. We are going mid June. Can anyone tell me if it is true about roads and beaches closed.

If they are closed what beaches and is there any way to get to them? Thanks!

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches and road closures

Welcome islandaB. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip here.

The road closures to certain beaches are true. Here is the link to the latest news.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147326-i649-k2658…

cypress, tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches and road closures

Will they allow us to walk to the closed beaches?

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches and road closures

Some visitors who tried recently were turned away by road crews.

Are you worried about a lack of beaches to visit during your stay!

boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches and road closures

We just returned and were unable to get to red beach and garcia beach. We went to sun bay, media luna, navio, blue beach, secret beach and green beach. Beautiful sea and sand. You will have a fabulous time.

cypress, tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches and road closures

we were choosing between Culebra or Vieques for vacation and chose Vieques for having more than one white sand beach but it seems like Culebra may now be the better choice for the white sand beaches.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches and road closures

well IslandB,

its still more than a month away. you never know. those beaches may be open by then.

besides that though, blue beach is spectaular.

and its very long and has very soft white sand.

do oyu only like soft sand?

theres alot of beaches. all with thier own allure.

sun bay navio and media luna might appeal to you

theres a black sand beach too.

and culebra doesnt have the bio bay.

it doesnt have the fauna vieques has either.

it does have better beach snorkeling though.

i doubt very much that you will be disapointed with Vieques.

let us know

cypress, tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches and road closures

One of our main concerns is that the way things go for us, there will be more areas closed down. Can they close the way to the bio bay? Thanks!

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches and road closures

Dear Island B:

The bio bay will not be closed down, or the way to it.

There are dozens of beaches on Vieques from which to choose. I have never been to Culebra, so I can not compare/contrast them for you. I do know that if you have a couple of weeks, you could likely get to most all of the beaches on Vieques. If you have less than that, you will have to do a couple a day. Some are so beautiful that you wont want to leave, or look further.

Best Wishes!

Jack

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: beaches and road closures

JackArmstrong has given great advise.

The road closures to beaches here are on US Fish and Wildlife Territory only. These does not include Playa Sunbay, Playa Media Luna, Playa Navio or Bio Bay, not to mention the many un-named beaches here which are yours to discover.

I have been to Culebra. I have camped on Playa Flamenco more than once. It's a beautiful weekend experience to me.

In the end you have to make the choice which Island you choose to visit. Possibly both Islands based on some of your previous posts. I think that may be a good idea. Then you can compare directly. Either way you can't go wrong.

Best,

Jim

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: beaches and road closures

Temporary Closure at Punta Arenas (Green Beach) Area for a Better Road

VIEQUES, Puerto Rico— The US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) announces the beginning of the Vieques National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) road improvement project at the Punta Arenas area. The road that leads to Punta Arenas will be temporarily closed from May 18, 2009, and the work will last for approximately 3 months. The road will be repaired with gravel. Please contact our office if you have any questions or doubts at 787-741-2138 from 8am – 4pm. You may visit these other Refuge areas: Playa La Chiva (Blue Beach), Playa La Plata, Playa La Platita, Playa Pata Prieta, Playa Grande, etc. Playa Caracas (Red Beach) is temporarily closed due to road improvement. Thank you for your patience. Stay tuned!

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations