We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

Vermont
1 post
Save Topic
Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

Please do not rent this house, Casa Tropicana in Destino, Vieques, from its owner Rene Monserrat. We rented the house for a week in February and he has not sent us back our deposit yet, will not return our calls and emails, and seems to be MIA. Not a reliable rental. Be warned

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble but it sounds like this has been going on for at least the last 2 yrs with this particular rental.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147326-i649-k1310…

and

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147326-i649-k1310…

Did you pay by CC - dispute the charge if possible. Send them a certified letter stating they need to return your deposit but xx day or you'll file a small claims against them.

They are listed on a few portals - where you can I'd put a review letting folks know your experience.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

You can also post your experience with this house here: http://www.vrwd.org/

Kansas City, MO
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

We rented Casa Tropicana in Vieques in early 2009. We did not get our deposit back, but luckily had paid by VISA and they got it back for us. Owner was given 45 days to reply to disputed claim and he did not, so VISA credited it back to us. They said evenutally they will go after the money from him. Can't be soon enough, he needs to be stopped!!!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

Thanks for getting back here Snorkeler77. I'm happy that you were able to retrieve your deposit.

You're right...This owner has caused many problems for his guests.

Kansas City, MO
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

To anyone who is replying from Vieques--wanted you to know that when we were there we were snorkeling off Blue Beach on a weekend and a group of what looked to be local kids - maybe 10-15 years old - were really tromping on a lot of the coral out by the island. One kid had a spear gun that was almost bigger than he was and he missed me by about 2 feet with it. We were very disappointed to see this--I thought the fish were protected in that area. If that kind of thing keeps up, there will soon be no coral to view and there goes your tourist dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
La Chiva
La Chiva
702 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Connecticut
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

I am in the same boat too. If all of us got together who have been stiffed by this jerk, this could be worth it.

Connecticut
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

I also am in the same boat. While it is a pain to pursue the matter, if all of us who got stiffed by this jerk joined together, we could perhaps make some headway.

8. Re: Bogus house rental- Casa Tropicana in Destino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2010, 05:16