We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

My wife Mary and I already knew that we were going to be in St. Thomas until 6/14, so we thought "why not visit Vieques while we were 'in the neighborhood'?" TripAdvisor was invaluable during our research - particularly the Trip Reports - so it seems appropriate to return the favor. We wanted to be close to the nightlife of Esperanza, but far enough away to have peace and quiet. We zeroed in on Hector's by the Sea and were delighted to learn that they could accommodate our brief trip. Through Hector's we also arranged to rent a vehicle from Chepito's. We booked one-way airfare from St. Thomas to Vieques with Air Sunshine, which is where I'll begin.

TripAdvisor recommended that we call Air Sunshine to confirm our flight a day in advance. It would prove pivotal, as our 4:00 PM flight was moved to 11:30 AM. The airline had called our home phone and left a message, but we probably should have left a cell phone number instead. In any event, the change in schedule meant that we'd be in Vieques in time for lunch, so it was a welcome surprise.

To say that Air Sunshine runs its business casually would be an understatement. We arrived at the airport in St. Thomas an hour and half early, only to find an empty check-in counter. We dialed the toll-free number posted on the counter, only to have a recording inform us that the office was closed on Sunday and that we should call back during business hours. I kept calling the number until I finally got through, and was ultimately told to sit in the commuter arrivals section of the airport and to wait for the pilot to greet us about 15 minutes before the flight was scheduled to take off.

True to her word, the tiny Air Sunshine plane landed at 11:15. The pilot hopped out of the window, removed all of the luggage from the plane, and then walked over to where we were sitting, reading our names from a mimeographed sheet of paper. He "weighed" our luggage by picking up each piece and making mental notes, after which he loaded us up and took off. Our luggage wasn't screened, nor were our IDs checked. When all is said and done, however, we arrived on-time and in one piece, so my take on Air Sunshine is ultimately positive.

Hector and Mary had instructed us to take a público from the airport, and there was a driver waiting inside the terminal when we arrived. He knew exactly where Hector's by the Sea was, which set our minds at ease. The públicos in Vieques are vans that will accommodate 6 to 8 people and will make multiple stops. In our case, it made 2 stops in Isabela Segunda and then drove us to Hector's. The fee was $15. I gave the driver a $20 bill and seemed to make his day.

As expected, our casita at Hector's wasn't ready for our early arrival, but our rental car from Chepito's was waiting for us, so we drove into Esperanza and had lunch at Bili's. We ordered typical Puerto Rican tapas - tostones, mofongo, etc. - tasty, simple and plentiful. A good experience.

When we returned, our room was ready. Hector gave us the run-down of its features: ceiling fan and A/C if we needed it (most nights we didn't), kitchenette with sink, plates, bowls and utensils, microwave, small fridge, etc. The casitas were designed and built by Hector and had a cozy but open and welcoming feel to them. Hector has four horses who remained in a small, contained area for most of the day but were free to roam the lawn between 1 and 5. For that reason we were encouraged to close the gate behind us whenever we took our car into town.

For dinner, we elected to eat at Mucho Gusto. The single greatest regret of our short trip was not visiting El Quenepo on the only night it would be open while we were there. Suffice to say, Mucho Gusto was a disappointment - my wife's chicken and my swordfish were overcooked, the beans were watery and the rice clearly not fresh. I must have picked a dozen bones out of my "fillet". We were the only ones in the restaurant throughout our meal, and now we know why.

On Monday we walked from Hector's to Black Sand Beach (Playa Negra), a short 15-minute walk/hike across sand and rocks. As Hector warned us, one should wear shoes/sandals one doesn't mind getting wet during the trip to get there. It also helps to have some traction, as some of the rocks are a bit tricky. Once we got there, we were treated to an empty beach with just enough sand for us to lay our towels. The ocean was warm and - once we got beyond the initial waves - the sand was silky smooth. We spent about an hour there and then returned to the casita to regroup.

Lunch was at Banana's in Esperanza - a decidedly tourist-oriented place. I don't even remember what I had to eat. It wasn't bad - but it wasn't memorable. Dinner was at Bili's - and we're glad we came back. My wife and I split a paella appetizer that was particularly flavorful. Then my wife had chicken breast while I had snapper. I should note that unless a menu reads "fillet" you are likely to be served a whole fish, as I was. I quickly got past my initial surprise and had myself a great meal.

Tuesday started out rainy and remained that way, so we decided to venture up to Topacio in Isabela Seguna for lunch. As was the case at Mucho Gusto, we were the only ones in the restaurant, but it was a very different result: our meals were excellent. I had lobster and penne pasta with a Creole sauce. Very tasty! We had dinner at Trade Winds - an excellent choice. I had a local fish fillet with rice and beans and sweet plantains, and we enjoyed the thunder and lightning over the ocean.

That night we settled up with Hector, who invited us into his home and talked about family, careers, etc., making us feel right at home. Terms at Hector's are cash, check or travelers' checks - credit cards are not accepted. We also paid Hector for the rental car (also cash). We were told that we could drive the car to the airport the following morning, park it in the lot and leave the key under the mat - which is exactly what we did - once again far more early than necessary. If only I had known that the airport featured free wifi! Our Cape Air flight to San Juan was uneventful - a good thing - although it meant that we were gone too soon from a place we already miss...

Scituate
Level Contributor
445 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Dear BitterDingo:

Excellent report; informative, helpful and humorous. Thanks for sharing your experiences. My wife and I are thinking about a trip to St Thomas in February, and Air Sunshine is an option, as they are pretty much the only folks with regular Vieques-St Thomas trips. Thank you for the report.

Jack

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Jack - thank you for your post. Hector's wife Mary was good about not jumping on the bandwagon and calling Air Sunshine "Air Sometimes", but rather saying that we needed to be flexible and should definitely confirm our reservation 24 hours ahead of the expected departure. That clearly saved our bacon!

West Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

We had actually wanted to go to St. Thomas for a day while we were there, but couldn't find anyone at the airport who could arrange it. So we then thought of St. Croix, but VAL's flights were all booked, so we went to OSJ instead.

Glad you had a good time dingo!

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

With Air Sunshine's Headquarters in Florida, it seems that you're better off calling their toll-free number (800-327-8900) than trying to go through the counter at the airport. On the other hand, I've heard reports that Air Sunshine not only routinely cancels one of its two daily flights between Vieques and St. Thomas (as was the case with me), but will sometimes cancel both flights, leaving travelers with no direct-flight option.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Nice writeup. It's a shame you didn't make it to the really beautiful white sand beaches in the nature preserve.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

thanks for sharing.

what did you do monday afternoon? after banannas?

did you get to another beach?

Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Granted, we didn't see all that Vieques had to offer, but since we were already in the area (St. Thomas), we viewed this as an opportunistic fact-finding trip. Based upon our experience, we'll certainly be back.

On Monday afternoon - between Banana's and Bili's - we chilled out in our casita and took a nap. It seemed to be the right thing to do. :^)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Ah, yes...

it's amazing how frequent those situations are on Vieques where a nap is the only appropriate response!

Thanks for a great report!

ByJ

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Hello bitterdingo!

Thanks for the report, its obvious you miss Vieques, so please come back, seems that you really enjoyed our Island. Hector's by the Sea is one of the most sublime places to stay in Vieques not only because of the simple beautiful facilities but because of Hector and Mary., the view is to die for. You are completely right when you regret not having dinner at El Quenepo, nice restaurant with great people in charge.

That means you HAVE to comeback to Vieques for a few days...

HOC

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First-timer Trip Report - 6/14 to 6/17

Nice trip report.......very enjoyable to read.....Thanks for posting it.........

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques