We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol on Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland, USA
3 posts
Save Topic
Alcohol on Vieques

I've heard a few rumours that alcohol isn't permitted for purchase on the Island. Is that true?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

Not true!

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

I have not found a "dry" Island in the Caribbean yet.

I hope I never do!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

where did you hear that?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

Oh, that is SO not true!

The local supermarket will have alcohol. Of course, not every brand, but you will find something to drink.

Of course it is not open 24/7....

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,042 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

I think it would be hard to find a place that does not sell it. You can even get a pina oolada on the side of the rd from street vendors. The little shops even sell little bottles with straw hats.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

That's so funny. When I read " alcohol on Vieques" , I was going to write that alcohol is not permited as a joke. Then I open the post and that's what the question was.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

you can go to the colmado(corner store, like a deli) and get a shot or two, not to mention unopened bottles

DC Metro
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

LOL.....this is too funny. I'm in Esperanza right now and just got back from the Green Store. I can assure you that they are still selling alcohol on the island!

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

My husband and I were on Island for the Mayoral elections. We were not able to buy alchohol at any store. We could not order a drink from the bars or restaurants until the polls were closed.

They really take politics seriously on the Island!!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol on Vieques

Hi BlueCrab!

One of my favorites places to buy Liquors or Alcohol as you mention is El Sombrero Viejo in Isabel Segunda. Give it a visit and you'll be surprised with not only the variety but the quality of Licores, Cervezas, Espiritus Destilados y Vinos the owner has in stock.

To me it is the only place in Vieques where you can buy great wines and sparkling wines (Champagnes too) from many parts of the world stored in a relatively good room temperature. Personally I think that prices are very affordable.

Cheers and

Enjoy Vieques and its people!

Humberto