We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Hi All,

We are going to Vieques for the first time in mid-April for our honeymoon and staying at the new W Resort. I've done research and am getting some ideas of things to do (although we are there to mostly relax!). But, I'm reading about several restaurants and am just wondering about transportation around the island and how hard it will be to get to restaurants outside of the resort. Any recommendations or must-do's? We've heard about the bio bay and several beaches.... anything else? THANKS ALL!

Cummington, MA
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

rent a car for sure! Now!

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Good choice 4 your honeymoon. Vieques is a special place, if you like laid back, do-it-yourself. You will need a car, and should book one now. Rental vehicles are limited on isle. We have had good times w/ Island & Martineau Car Rentals. Most of VQS is off the beatin path (xcept 4 Esperanza & Isabel), the W is no exception. Likewise, the restaurants are scattered around the rock and taxis will B costly and elusive in many cases. VQS is easy to drive in carib terms (not 2 crazy, drivin on the US side of the road, not 2 hilly, ect.), just get the good, free map available readily on the isle.

The beach at W is good, but far from the best on the isle. This too is where a car/jeep will B a must. Part of the reason to go 2 VQS is to check out the different beaches. The Bio Bay is a must do...also another reason folks come here. Said to be one of the best Bios in the world, (the other in Thailand). 1 way to see it is thru a kayak tour. I recommend Abe's. The other is via pontoon boat, which is less hands on, but very nice, educational, and an easier way to swim the bay (which is a must do). I like www.biobay.com.

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

It's a small island, not too hard to find your way around but, like everyone will tell you RENT A CAR. Public transportation is virtually non-existent on most of the island but the ferry dock and you need a car to get to some of the greatest spots. We rented a jeep from Maritza's Car Rental and had great luck with them.

There are a number of fantastic restaurants... from Coconuts to El Quenepo, to Bananas and Duffy's (for something a litle more casual).

Biobay is a must (we used Abe's and loved it). There are a lot of gorgeous beaches (Blue Beach, Navijo, and Playa Grande were our favorites). Be sure to do some snorkling!! We also did a 4 hour sailing / snorkling trip with Captain Bill and had a blast! The snorkling was the best we've ever done! Mostly, just enjoy the beautiful island and relax. The island is very laid back -- I never understood "island time" until I went to Vieques!

I suggest reading the monthly newsletter that gets posted here in this forum for lots of great information as well as buying the book titled 'Be Here Now: Vieques: The Most Complete And Continuously Updated Guide Available' by Michael Franco.. it has some great information!

Have a truly wonderful time! I enjoyed every minute of our week long stay (belated honeymoon) to Vieques in late November / early December.

Morgan

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Hello Avenger. Your questions are good ones...and I think you may wish to put them to your W "Whatever, Whenever" assistant....It's part of what you are paying for after all.

Happy "Luna de Miel"...and we look forward to reading about your experiences here.

All the best..

Jim

New York
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Are you already booked at the W?

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Hi virginlover. Maybe I am misinterpreting Avenger's post, it does however seem like they are booked in my opinion. See the quote below

"We are going to Vieques for the first time in mid-April for our honeymoon and staying at the new W Resort."

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

Hi All-

Thanks so much for all of your very helpful information! We will definitely rent a car- and will visit the recommended beaches and restaurants. We are very excited!

In regards to the question posted- yes, we are already booked at the W Hotel- very excited to be at the new property.

I will post a full review upon our return!

Thanks All!

8. Re: First time to Vieques- honeymoon!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2010, 05:17