We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan in motion for trip in June

Fort Worth, TX
9 posts
Save Topic
Plan in motion for trip in June

Hello, I've booked airfare and a house on Santa Maria beach for June. We arrive mid afternoon. I am a little perplexed on what to do to get from San Juan airport to Vieques. I have e-mails out to small airlines and see that the ferry is an option. Just concerned about flight delays and not getting there on time for the ferry, etc. Any help or advice you can give a first timer traveling with my older son and a couple of friends is greatly appreciated. Oh, and best advice to rent a car... cost effectively. THANKS!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Hi Lisa,

First - do not email, call. And if you do not get an answer, call again - persistence is key. Depending on what time you arrive in San Juan really drives your options. 1pm - you have all options, 3pm or later your options become more limited. Flying from Texas (I assume) you shouldn't have too many delays in June - maybe stormy weather so it's possible.

Wish this could be a permanent link but here goes (prices are estimates please call and verify!):

Fly from San Juan International - costly but time efficient ($175+ per per roundtrip)

Fly from Isla Grande airport located in old San Juan - 40% less than SJU, short 20 minute $20 cab ride each way ($99 per person roundtrip)

Fly from Ceiba airport located near Fajardo ($50 per person roundtrip) but requires transportation (either rent a car or hire a driver) to Ceiba/Fajardo area.

Ferry from Fajardo ($4 per person roundtrip) requires transportation to Fajardo/Ceiba area.

Transportation to Ceiba/Fajardo

Rent a car from Avis (you can do one way rentals)

Hire a driver ($60-$75 each way)

All of these options vary depending on your incoming flight vs. the departure flight, traffic, weather, etc...

Also consider doing one of each - for example if you do not have time between flights to fly/ferry back to Ceiba/Fajardo you could fly back to Isla Grande or San Juan directly.

Good Luck - be persistent and take notes when you talk to folks so you can look at all your options.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 17:42
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Great advice from Renee.

Follow the link below to Vieques Events. Click on Airlines and ferry schedule for a pdf file with phone numbers and times.

http://www.viequesevents.net/

Renee, you will get your wish. This thread will be linked to "Top questions for Isla de Vieques".

Fort Worth, TX
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Thank you. This seems to the information I have read. We land at 3:30, assuming everything is on time. So, can I grab a cab at the airport to take me to Isla Grande easily outside the airport? If so, I'll call regarding flights out of there. I feel certain that the ferry is too dicey. Maybe we'll take it on the way back. I want to try and save everyone as much money as possible. I'll also make some calls on renting a car when we land in Vieques. Any recommendations there? Thanks again!!!!!

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Lisa. Do not wait until you arrive on Island to rent a car. Do it now. There is a shortage of vehicles and the newly opened W Resort will add strain to the already short supply.

You can easily grab a cab from the Tourism Kiosk located curbside at the airport.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 19:11
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Follow the link below for a listing of Rental Car providers with Phone numbers or websites for contact info.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147326-s304/Isla-De-…

Oxford, Mississippi
Level Contributor
43 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

We had a driver that drove us from San Juan to Fajardo. His name is John and is a great guy. I am hoping to use him again when my husband and I return in June. I can wait! We leave on June 4th. I have contact information for him if you are interested. Just send me an email. I loved the fact that we went by ferry. We really got a feeling of living like the locals.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

We have done both, and we prefer to fly. The cab ride to Fajardo is 1-2 hours, and the ferry ride is 1-2 hours, making for a very long day coming out of Dallas. Not to mention the aerial views of El Yunque and Vieques are pretty great! As far as rental cars, they are all relatively expensive. We prefer the older vehicles, a little less expensive and already broke in for the roads in the wildlife preserves and beach exploration! I agree with h0llybelle about riding the ferry and "living like the locals", but our experience has been that just about EVERYONE in Puerto Rico and Vieques make you feel right at home! We are returning to Vieques in June too! CAN'T WAIT!

Fort Worth, TX
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Thank you so much!!!! My e-mail is lmosier@sbcglobal.net. Do you think we can make the ferry on a Sunday if our plane gets in at 3:30? I'm worried. I so appreciate this. Lisa

Fort Worth, TX
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

Thank you! I'm bringing a couple of college boys with me and money is a concern. I want to be very conservative with our spending. But, I also don't want to lose time and miss out on the first night at our rental house. It's a catch 22!!! Was there a particular rental company you used?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Plan in motion for trip in June

I think there is a 6:00 ferry on Sundays (you should doublecheck that), last one out for the night. We take a cab from SJU to Isla Grande airport and fly for around $90/pp RT. Costly, but worth it in my opinion. I will say I always look forward to the drive through San Juan, soaking up the atmosphere. But, very anxious to get to our final destination! It gets dark early, (no daylight savings in PR), and the island is pretty dark after dark, so we always try to arrive early. If you can swing it, I would opt for it. You can probably make the ferry, but if by chance you didn't, you would have to wait till the next day. BTW, our flights have always been on time with no problems. We have been happy with Vieques Car Rental. But I hear good things about Maritza's too. I would call around to see who you like best. www.enchanted-isle.com should have a link to the phone #'s of the different car rental companies.