We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather report please....

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weather report please....

We'll be heading to Vieques this Saturday...can't wait! I know weathermen aren't very good at forecasting much past a few days out, but I've been looking at weather websites for vieques and they say "RAIN" not chance of showers...or spot thunderstorms...they say "RAIN" every day from now on for the next 10 days! YIKES! Could someone on Vieques tell me what you're hearing and SEEING down there? I know there is always a chance of a spot shower in the afternoon or overnight but PLEASE don't tell me that it's been raining as much as the weather website seem to say.

What are the temps right now too....88-90 degrees???

Thanks!!!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather report please....

Did you check the "Top questions about ISLA DE VIEQUES" links in the upper right corner?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather report please....

Hi Vieques Guy...yes, I did look there...the weather up in New England has been very funky for quite a few months now and I was just trying to get some input from someone on the island.

We've taken cruises every January for almost 20 years now and the weather has always been beautiful, regardless of what the weather reports have been...

However, this past January was a completely different story. We arrived in Miami in Mid January to 40 degee rainy weather. I had never arrived in Miami and been greeted with such miserable weather. We sailed the Western Caribbean this time and it was cold and rainy the entire seven day cruise. I actually kept my coat on the entire trip. No one ever went out to the pool...no one really even went outside unless they wanted to get drenched. It was great to get away but it was an awful trip weatherwise.

So, I was just hoping that our bad luck wouldn't be continuing....

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather report please....

January was pretty wet in the Caribbean, but by the end of the month it seems someone shut off the water and it became very dry and unusually hot. This extreme dryness and hot weather has lasted since February and most (if not all) the Caribbean is in severe droughts.

Thankfully, Puerto Rico has been able to get in some rain, so it doesn't look like we will have water issues as in other years. The rain we've gotten has actually been very strange also, it is extremely dry and then we get all the rain we usually get for the entire month in about one or two days. After that it goes right back to a long period of no rain and hot temperatures.

Right now we've been pretty steady on the dry side and the temperatures haven't been as bad as in March.

I'd suggest you use www.srh.noaa.gov/sju to get a good idea of the weather in Puerto Rico. Other sites (like weather.com) don't really have a good grip on the weather in the tropics, where there is a good chance you will get a light shower during the day... to cover this they just publish "showers" on their sites, worrying a lot of people.

By the way, on that site I gave you you can also check out a report on how the weather has gone from extreme to extreme. Record dryness, record rain, record heat, and record cold...

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather report please....

Thanks Ricky B! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll visit the link you suggested as well! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather report please....

We just got back from Vieques. The weather was divine. Never hot, never cold. It rained a little bit each day but only for about 5 minutes at a time. Clouds would blow in, it would sprinkle, and then it would blow away. No big deal. I think it rained more one time in the night. Don't worry.

6. Re: Weather report please....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 06:20