We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on small inns on Vieques

Chicago
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on small inns on Vieques

We've narrowed it down (I think) to Hacienda Tamarindo, Hector's by the Sea, and Malecon House. They all seem great from what I read here but I'm wondering if anyone has insight into any differences among them that might inform our decision. Thanks very much.

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
576 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Malecon House
Malecon House
458 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Wayland...
Level Contributor
490 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on small inns on Vieques

Of the three inns you mention, I've only stayed at Hector's by the Sea. It's located right next to the Hacienda Tamarindo in Puerto Real, about a mile and a half from the Malecon in Esperanza, therefore both are convenient and quiet. The Malecon House is located smack in the middle of Esperanza, across the street from the Malecon. It's newly renovated space, but otherwise I can't speak for the rental experience there.

I can say that Hector's is a wonderful place. Apart from the serene location, Hector and Mary are extremely warm hosts, full of helpful hints about where to eat, which beaches to visit, etc. The property consists of 3 casitas. The Mango is quite tiny, but very private. The Coqui and Vistamar are large enough to have 2 queen-sized beds but are adjoining casitas in the same physical building. This wasn't an issue for us when we stayed in the Coqui, as our neighbors were very quiet. The Mango was a bit small for the two of us, but as long as the weather is nice, you're not likely to be spending much time in your casita anyway!

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
576 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Esperanza
Esperanza
Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
Malecon House
Malecon House
458 Reviews
Puerto Rico
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on small inns on Vieques

We stayed at Hacienda Tamarindo and it was a beautiful little B & B. It was more like being a guest in a private house. We had room number 5, which had a large private terrace with stunning views of the water. The pool was pretty much ours during the day and was kept spotlessly clean. Breakfast is included and you have it upstairs in a lovely little dining room/terrace, with fantastic dishes made to order. Coffee available all day, and there's a cool little honors bar: take what you want and write it down. Library with computer for guests is also available. We absolutely loved this place.

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
576 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on small inns on Vieques

We stayed at the Hacienda this past March. Loved the place, very private. Carmen is wonderful..she'll make sure everything is taken care of for you.

If your on a budget Island adventures is a few hundered feed from the Hacienda. They serve a very reasonable evening meal, plus you can do the bio-bay tour.

We did the "boxed lunch" one morning from the Hacienda. It was really much more food than we needed. Very nice.

I agree with travelerNewYork that you feel more like a guest in a private house.

Curt

4. Re: Advice on small inns on Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:16