We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

Specifically At&t and verizon. I have an iphone that i would prefer to use over my laptop and verizon wireless card if i could (hate to bring anything extra). But I was unsure what coverage is like there. Will I be able to get 3g on my iphone?

Thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

Cell phone coverage is good. Have not used my Palm yet. I usually just bring my laptop and plug in or use the rentals wireless. Go to AT&T's webpage and look at the coverage map.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

AT&T phone coverage is pretty good. Service can be weak at some of the beaches. Stayed in La Hueca a few times and could not get coverage at the casita but I could walk 50 yards to the east along the road and get a service. My brother has an I phone, and from what I remember, he had trouble with 3g. I could be wrong about that though. My sister in law was able to use a wireless card on her laptop, but I don't know who the service provider was. My advice is turn off your devices, relax and enjoy your stay. If you need Internet service you can go to VHCT or Roy's.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

Many people have iPhones on Vieques, both tourists and residents. I can't vouch for speed. I have an AT&T regular cell phone, in most places it works fine. As for internet, I have a Sprint 3g card which works quite well in both speed and reliability. Our house is in Esperanza, a block from the Malecon. As a previous user stated, a couple hundred feet can make a difference on the limited number of towers.

I agree, sometimes it's nice to connect once or twice, but so relaxing to unplug.

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

You can also get free wifi (unless it's changed) in downtown Isabel Segunda outside on the plaza. Our Verizon phone service (not wireless card) works fine most places but we couldn't get/send picture messages since it's not on their network. That was a bummer but otherwise service is good most times/places.

Wayland...
Level Contributor
488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

My wife and I were in Vieques in March, and she has AT&T while I have TMobile. Coverage was decent, but as it's been noted here we did run into the occasional dead zone.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

Because our service is Canadian, when we're in the US (including Vieques) we're into a roaming scenario, with the service providers sometimes changing depending on who have agreements with our home provider. Interestingly enough, we had lousy service inside the arrivals area of the Vieques airport (can't remember the provider), but when we moved outside into the publico pick-up area we get better reception- but with a completely different provider only 20 yards away!

We shed a tear when the towers first went up on the tops of Vieques' hills. We can't live in the past, of course, but for those who want impeccable seamless service, there would be a cost: more towers to blight the beauty of this paradise.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

Buildings made of concrete full of rebar tend to be RF holes. Since virtually everybody lives in the middle of the Island, that is where the best coverage is.

I agree with Bruce and John that cell towers are not a visual enhancement to any landscape. I remember some years ago when the first towers were being erected here. I found myself in the company of the owner of a well known "eco-lodging" here who was railing at the fact that a newly placed tower was spoiling his guests views. I asked him what he had attached to his belt. Full stop. End of story.

Westford, MA
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

My cell phone is from Verizon and I got a good signal pretty much everywhere but in the interior of a concrete building. My Kindle has Sprint 3G service and I was able to get a strong signal on that everywhere I went.

9. Re: How is cell phone coverage in Vieques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 05:17