We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

Does anyone have any information on how long it takes to get from the small planes in terminal B at San Juan Intl. to the American Airlines terminal. I am trying to make a 10 am flight out of San Juan, but the earliest arrival I can find to get to San Juan Intl. from Vieques is 9:20 am ( the flight leaves Vieques at 8:55). There will be no checked luggage and the American Airlines flight will already be checked in online, so I just need to be able to debark the plane from Vieques with a carry-on and get to the connecting flight. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Berkshires
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

Possible problem getting through security. VQS is not a secured facility, so when you arrive at SJU you enter the SJU terminal in the unsecured area. Time to get through checkpoint is hit or miss. Good luck.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

What our friend from the Berkshires said. It's a missed flight waiting to happen in my opinion.

I presume you are flying Cape Air if you are checking luggage through with AA. It's a snappy 10 minute walk to the AA terminal (presuming you don't get turned around somewhere.) Passing TSA may be a breeze or a bog. You are looking at a white knuckle time frame...Roll the dice if you are a gambler.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

hi

did you call the airlines to check their schedule and availability? do that first if you havent

cape air shows a flight at 7 35am. is that booked up?

also VAL shows a flight that gets into isla grande at 8am. there could be traffic getting to sju from isla grande at that time, but maybe not. you can also get into ceiba around 7am and either rent a car from avis and drop it off at sju or just hire a publico to get you to the airport. you figure 90 minutes or less for the drive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

I am looking for a return flight from Vieques into San Juan before the 8:55 am one listed at Air Sunshine. This is in order to catch a 10 am flight out of San Juan to home. I am unconcerned about San Juan to Vieques. Any info or help?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

i got that. i was just saying that the Vieques Events airline schedule for cape air shows a 7 35 am flight from vieques to sju.

ALSO

you can fly VAL to Isla Grande at 8am and be at sju by 830 by way of a cab

you dont mention when you are going. sometimes schedules change with the season. by the time you go there may even be an earlier flight.

so calling the airlines and checking their schedule for your date may reveal something that helps.

when you land at sju, you will have to go back through security at sju to your AA flight. that line could be short, or very long. remember also that sometimes they stop boarding before the departure time. you may not even have until 10 am to make the flight. personally, i doubt you will make your flight by getting into sju at 9 20. and if thats an air sunshine flight, its really iffy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

I have been unable to find the flight you refer to from Cape Air, as their website says their first flight (on a Sunday) is at 10:30 AM. I would appreciate information or a link to where you have gotten your ijnformation. Thanks.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

ok, well, sundays can be different. also, the time of the year.

but if you do not find it on their website, its probably not a current flight. however, it doesnt hurt to call the airline directly and find out. they have a toll free number.

I found the schedule on the schedule page of the vieques events paper in their online version.

http://www.viequesevents.net/pdf/itin0710.pdf

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

Thanks for the info. I will call in the morning and post what I find out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

I called Cape Air this morning and they do not have any flights leaving at 7:30 am. The gentleman asked where I got the flight info and when it was posted. He said that list is obviously not current. No flights on Sunday with Cape Air before 10:30am.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flight from Vieques to San Juan

thats too bad. sorry about the misinformation. i was only going by what i saw.

did you check out the Vieques events online anyway? theres alot of interesting info in there.

as for the plane, dont rule out isla grande. especially if there is a flight that will get you there around 7am(which I dont know if there is or not)