We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 7 year olds to Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
huntington, ny
Level Contributor
145 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with 7 year olds to Vieques

Hi. We want to take out 7 year olds to Vieques in the winter. We are looking at Casa La Lanchita. It looks beautiful and got great reviews! Does anyone know if this would be good for kids? Is it far from any town? Is there anywhere else you would suggest if we want to be on the beach and want a kitchen?

As for itinerary, is there enough to do on the island for 4 or 5 days with the kids? I thought we would take the ferry over to the rain forest for one day.

We will have 3 or 4 days to spend on the main island. We were thinking of San Juan. I want the kids to get some taste of the culture so I thought old San Juan and the Fortress would be fun. Any suggestions on where to stay there? On the Condado? Another part of the island? We are open to anything.

Thanks!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 7 year olds to Vieques

so you have eight days to split up?

if your kids like the beach,there is definitely enough to do.

they will have a ball at each beach. two a day if you want.

you can do a kayak tour one day. the bio bay one night.

you can call the vcht to see if they have any kids events going on that week. they provide some excellent activities for kids.

as for la lanchita,ive never stayed there. but every adult i know of that stayed there thought it was great. the beach there is ok. but nothing by vieques standards so dont expect that. you can also rent a house on the beach.

if you do go to el yunque,do it on the way back from vieques. dont make a trip there then go back to vieques. it doesnt make sense. after vieques, you can rent a car from avis in ceiba. they will pick you up at the ferry or airport. from there you can drive to el yunque. stay overnight if you want or drive to your hotel in san juan. you will be tired so i doubt you will do anything that night. the next day and night explore the fort and old san juan

the next day drive to camuy and check out the caves,or go to arecibo.

i hope this helps

la, ca
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 7 year olds to Vieques

In addition...

While on Vieques, Kayaking through the mangroves is super fun. Try to find a "local" guide. Spend a morning exploring the sugar mill ruins and the bunkers. Some nice hiking from Playa Grande up to the ruins. Bring gallons of bug spray and sunscreen. Enjoy the adventure.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 7 year olds to Vieques

Hi Stacey,

We are a family of four, two boys ages 9 and 7. We have been going to Vieques for 7 years; our younger son was 6 mos. at the time of his first visit. We go for a little over two weeks, and the kids have never said they were bored. We always go to the Bio Bay (on kayaks with Abe for the last 4 years), the Fort, the Vieques Conservation and Historic Trust, and lots of beach time. As others have mentioned, you can explore a lot of places. My favorites in no particular order are: La Central (the ruins from the old sugar cane industry), Cayo de Tierra (the key that you can walk to from Sun Bay beach), Playa Grande (good for a walk), Mosquito Pier (for snorkeling), Sea Glass Beach (to hunt for treasures), renting a kayak and paddling to Cayo de Afuera and a walk on the Malecon in Esperanza.

Even if you are used to having lots to do, Vieques is a great place to let the pace of Island time slow you down.

Enjoy your trip.

4. Re: Traveling with 7 year olds to Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:12