We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vqs to sig -- then to sju

USA
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
vqs to sig -- then to sju

As we continue to plan our trip to Vieques, I have another question for you experts: We have a 6:40pm flight from SJU, to home. I am thinking about taking a 4:30 p.m. flight from VQS to SIG, which the website says arrives at 5pm. I would then taxi to SJU. This is on a Saturday afternoon. Does this sound safe to you, in terms of timing? We are 2 people, no kids, and probably only carry on bags (though maybe one checked bag).

There are some earlier options, but they would kill more of our last day in Vieques.

Advice?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

I believe you need to be at the airport 90 minutes before your flight. For a check bag you will need to go through USDA inspection then stand in line for your boarding pass. Take and earlier flight. Saturdays can be busy with cruise ship passengers departing.

Iowa
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

I never weigh in on these matters but I have been through SJU too many times on Saturday. Yes, you need at LEAST 90 minutes because you never know what to expect. It could be a breeze but it can be a total nightmare....last year our luggage was not accepted because it was less than 50 minutes before flight departure because of a delay out of Vieques. Then lines were long and we did not make our plane. I would rather be a couple hours early and not test the waters on a Saturday in San Juan. Just too many cruise boats come and go that day. Bring a good book, a good movie, a happy companion and have a bite to eat......cutting it close is too stressful. Just my opinion because we have been there done that way too many times.

Iowa
Level Contributor
327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

By the way, we are 2 adults, no kids....just luggage....not sure about the USDA check point.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

The flights out of VQS are notoriously late and if it is raining can be delayed for hours. Traffic in SJU on a Saturday afternoon is usually easy but about 1/2 the time I land at SIG I have to wait for a cab. Sometimes there is only one and it will load everyone up and make several stops, not good on a tight schedule.Security can be very slow at SJU if it is busy and Saturday can be a big cruise ship turnover day. Give yourself more time.

USA
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

Thank you for your advice. My flight options appear to be as follows. I have a 6:40pm flight on a Saturday from SJU. My goals are (1) not miss that flight; (2) have as much of that day as reasonably possible in Vieques (short trip - want to maximize it and hate sitting around airports); and (3) not spend more money than necessary on transport, though that is not a big deal. Given that, which of the following flgiths do you suggest?

Cape Air 3:18pm flight from VQS to SJU for $112

Air Sunshine 4:30 pm VQS-SJU for $85

VAL 2pm VQS-SIG for $63

VAL 4:40pm VQS-SJU for $115

VAL 2:30 pm OR 3:30 pm VQS-RVR (then taxi or car rental) for $30pp

Edited: 15 September 2010, 21:25
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

IMO: Air Sunshine 4:30 pm VQS-SJU for $85. No traffic or taxi to worry about. You land at SJU.

Edited: 15 September 2010, 21:38
USA
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

Would probably have chosen that one too. My only concern is comments I have read about Sunshine on this board -- suggesting that they are not reliable. But that's why I'm asking the experts here.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

That last day is always bi#ch. You will have to be out of your hotel or villa before noon and have to consider if it will be fun trucking around Vieques with your baggage. You might consider taking an earlier flight :

to Ceiba, rent a car and explore the rain forest and eat at the stands in Luquillo or

to SIG and taxi over to old San Juan and explore (there is lots of advice on the PR forum as to where to leave bags for a few hours)

Edited: 16 September 2010, 13:33
Wayland...
Level Contributor
489 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

My one and only experience with Air Sunshine - a one-way flight from St. Thomas - was positive, but fraught with peril. To say that it's a no-frills airline is a wild understatement. The pilot was also the baggage handler and the reservation agent, as no one was behind the counter while we nervously checked our watches, and no one answered the toll-free number we kept calling as departure time neared. Eventually the pilot pulled in and ushered us together, "weighing" our luggage with his arms and distributing us in the tiny plane accordingly. Idiosyncratic as it was, we left St. Thomas and arrived in Vieques on-time and in one piece, and have this story to tell...

Edited: 16 September 2010, 15:35
USA
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vqs to sig -- then to sju

How long is the drive from Cieba to SJU, on a Saturday afternoon? Mapquest shows about 45 minutes. Is that about right? Are there taxis at Cieba, or should I arrange a driver in advance (or rent car one way)?

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques