We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Vieques

How far is San Juan Isla Grande airport from San Juan and how much would cab fare be? Thanks!

Lamoni, Iowa
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Vieques

I've heard it is about 15 minutes and $20 plus tip. I will know for sure in 9 Days!!

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Vieques

Thanks for your reply!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Vieques

15-25 minutes depending on traffic. The $20 fare is about right.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Vieques

I am actually thinking about renting a car at the San Juan airport, driving to Fajardo and taking the cargo ferry to Vieques. The reasoning is that we have a free car rental with National. I checked with National and they do allow you to use the cargo ferry. Any opinions? This will save us a ton of money!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Vieques

Don't do it! The topic has been discussed many times. See the top questions for isla de Vieques link in the upper right corner.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Vieques

Never ever take a car rental to VQS. If something happens to the car in VQS there is no AAA there and the National car rental will not go there to help. Not a good idea.

Flying from Isla Grande airport is about $100 pp .. You can rent a car from a VQS car rental co. for about $40 a day. You can get that rate from Seagate Hotel, a nice little hotel, which rents cars as well for their guests, and if they are not busy they rent to anyone. You can also get a pretty good hotel rate there. www.seagatehotel.com

A cab from the main airport to the isla grande airport will cost $19 flat rate plus $1 for any additional piece of luggage.

Hope this helps. :)

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Vieques

Thanks so much zori.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Vieques

unless the rate went up, it's $16 plus $1 for each bag from sju to isla grande.

as for bringing your car over, did you call the national rental office in puerto rico and ask them if you can take the car on the ferry? if not, you should. i wouldnt trust what someone at the 800 number says. besides that, its very unlikely you would get a spot on the ferry without a paid reservation. and even less likel;y you would get back. unless you start with the first ferry and wait until there is a spot. which could take all day.

Seattle
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Vieques

DONT DO IT!!!! You will hate the driving expirience on Isla Grande. There are no rules for driving, at least not followed. Do not start your vacation out this way. Fly to Vieques and if you are so inclinded, take the ferry home and drive to San Juan. We rented a car to tour a circle around Isla Grande for 3 days be for leaving home. Big mistake it was like NY cabbies on crack, no kidding. No turn signals, no speed control, unsafe passing, tailgating. Leave the racing to the Publicos, they are safe drivers to be trusted.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Vieques

Thanks for all your replies. I've actually decided to go to Akumal, Mexico instead. Seems to be too much of a hassle to get to Vieques. I was trying to make this an inexpensive trip using frequent flyer miles and national car rental miles. I'll try another time when I have more funds!