We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques or Culebra?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zanesville, OH
Level Contributor
37 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques or Culebra?

My wife and I are trying decide between these two islands... we're just going to spend a couple nights there in April. About us... we don't like touristy, packed areas. We like good restaurants, and exploring off-the-beaten path. Which of these two islands would better suit us? Thanks!

Virginia
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

Here is a recent thread on this debate: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147326-i649-k4050…

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

both destinations are "off the beaten path" Culebra is much smaller with less options though.

If scuba and snorkeling are your focus, Culebra beats Vieques. Any other reason it's Vieques hands down.

Vieques has way more options. More beaches. and theyre less crowded. The last time i was on Flamenco beach(Culebra) my friend and I had to leave because it was packed with people. and that was mid week and not a holiday week. I have never seen that many people on any beach in Vieques. and yes, flamenco is gorgeous, but to me, navio is nicer. so is blue beach, and red beach and secret. and garcia

Vieques has more restaurants and of better calibre than on Culebra. Vieques has awesome local cuisine, great sushi, and some really excellent fine dining. plus everything inbetween.

and the icing on the cake is the bio bay. Culebra can't touch it.

this ofcourse this is my biased opinion. and im proud of it, lol

Tennessee
Level Contributor
930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

We have been to both several times and usually spend a week on each. This year we will spend the entire two weeks on Culebra. It is much less congested than Vieques. Dining out is not important to us, but scuba is. You will see less abandoned houses, etc on Culebra and the unemployment rate on Vieques is quite a bit higher than on Culebra. We never saw groups of young men hanging out on street corners all hours of the day and night like we saw on Vieques in July 2010 (this must be sign of our times and economy. We saw much more of this in 2010 than we did in 2008). . Our son, daughter and friend will be on Culebra with us for 11 nights and then head to Vieques for 3 nights to explore the beaches and do the biobay tour. Also, if you like horseback riding and the roaming horses, this is not available on Culebra. We will meet back up with them in SJ and fly home. This is just my opinion and I know many prefer Vieques over Culebra. However, unless you have been to both,it is hard to compare.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

I have been to both Islands. I have chosen Vieques to live on and love.

From a travelers point of view, scuba and snorkeling is better on Culebra than here. Flamenco beach is beautiful but often crowded on weekends.

Unemployment is high on both Islands...Vieques has no monopoly on that..

In my opinion Vieques is less dominated by North Americans compared to Culebra..

Just my opinion.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

No offense intended.

" Flamenco beach is beautiful but often crowded on weekends"

We have not found this to be so when we have visited. It is such a large beach, we have always been able to find uncongested areas. I guess we have not been there on a holiday weekend, when many families visit from mainland PR.

"In my opinion Vieques is less dominated by North Americans compared to Culebra.."

I agree that there is probably a higher percentage of expats living on Culebra than on Vieques.

Also with the moorings for sailboats on Culebra, you have many Americans and others moored there for extended periods of time who also use businesses in Dewey

To each his own. So glad not everyone prefers Culebra. Leaves more for me. LOL

Tennessee
Level Contributor
930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

To the original OP, I re read your post and since you only have 2 nights, I would certainly go to Vieques for the many beautiful beaches, more dining options and the BioBay. There is nothing like the biobay. We have gone on the tour 3 times and it is truly magical and gives me chill bumps each time.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

Keep going back to both to both and still can't decide, which is great, since it gives me two places to love. I suppose if you're looking for restaurants you have a lot more choice on Vieques. What steered me this year to Culebra was my inability to get a car on Vieques two months ahead of arrival. Culebra is usually much easier in that respect. I really find driving around the islands and exploring to be one of the best things to do and for that you need a car. Culebra won this year, next year with a little more planning it might be Vieques.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

Fair enough.

The lack of rental vehicle supply and strong demand remains a vexing problem for travelers here. Plan well in advance is my best advice.

We hope to maybe see you here next year.

Enjoy your stay on Culebra.

9. Re: Vieques or Culebra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2012, 00:16