We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

Is Cape Air the favorite for flights from SJU to Vieques? Prices seem better with VAL but how does the service compare amongst the different airlines?

Thanks greatly!

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

I just found another post with some answers but will gladly accept other responses. :0)

Seaborn looks like a good choice also?

Thanks in advance...

Edited: 05 March 2011, 15:38
VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

My experiences with Cape Air, Seaborne and Vieques Air Link (VAL) have all been good. Cape Air runs the most flights from International (SJU) during high season and are slightly shorter time wise. VAL also runs from Isla Grande Airport (SIG) near Old San Juan at a much cheaper price.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
206 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

We have flown both VAL & Cape Air. Cape Air is easy because you can book right online. I believe there was an online form for VAL but I never received a repsonse so you actually have to call. After you book w/them you wonder if you actually have a reservation...but never had any issues. That seems very common in Vieques though...same thing w/car rental places.

You can't go wrong with either place.

Oxford
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

Another option is Air Sunshine, who fly in from SJU (Int'l) Terminal B and are cheaper than Cape Air or VAL - although still about $40 more than flying from Isla Grande. Checked baggage allowance is more generous on Cape Air than either VAL (30lbs - which included carry-on) or Air Sunshine (40lbs checked plus carry-on which can fit in the wing).

With Air Sunshine I faxed a reservations request downloaded from their website and they called me back international with a confirmation number to write on the form as confirmation. Called Ft Lauderdale the day before to reconfirm and no problems at all.

The Air Sunshine flight was full, but prompt, good service and they accommodated all my excess baggage too. Dropped my carry-on into a compartment in the wing and picked it up at the bottom of the steps on leaving the plane so never out of sight. Would happily use them again.

Seaborne are reputedly fine too, and go from SJU daily (some good fares on advance-purchase but baggage allowance only 30lbs versus 50lbs on the $300 R/T full fare refunfdable tickets) and Isla Grande Friday-Monday only.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

I booked my VAL flight on line. It is nearly half the cost of Cape if you fly out of Isle Grande.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

From your responses...Cape Air just doesnt make sense. The added expense isnt worth it.

how long is a taxi ride from SJU to the other airport??

((thanks again))

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

We recently flew with VAL from Isla Grande, much closer to Old San Juan. And half the price of flying out of SJU. They were very accommodating. We were about 10 pounds over with our luggage, they didn't charge the fee coming or going. On the way back they let us store out luggage in the office while we checked out OSJ before catching our flight home later that day. I booked online, through their site. I didn't need to call them to confirm, got email confirmation. It's a small plane, with 1 pilot. Seats 10 passengers I believe.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

We took a taxi from one airport to the other in about 25 minutes, with traffic and road construction. It should cost about $22 w/ a few bags. San Juan taxis use a zone system, not meters.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

Thanks Kilo. Considering we'll prob leave SJU and take a taxi to lunch for a few hrs b/4 our flight to Vieques, then I guess it doesnt matter if we drive to Isla Grande or back to SJU. Either way we'll be out and about anyway. so minus well go to the cheaper airport.

I checked the fares and VAL to Vieques from isla grande is $63. Amzing!!

Edited: 08 March 2011, 14:23
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The skinny on Cape Air VS other airlines (to Vieques)?

Took the Cape Air flight out of Puerto Rico day after Thanksgiving, did not know they check your bags from AA to Cape Air which was a good thing, Checked in, took a leisurely short flight to Viequies , although raining, uneventful, flight back, we were the only 2 on the afternoon flight! Can't comment on the other air carriers but Cape Air was OK!

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques