We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in vieques

10 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling in vieques

where is a good snorkeling location on vieques that is suited to beginners and rarely you would encounter sea creatures that can harm children such as barracuda, jellyfish, fire coral, lionfish, man of war, and other potentially harmful creatures but still with a decent population of fish and coral

Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in vieques

Eastern side of Caracas. I have video of it here:

a more updated map of where we have snorkeled here:

The right side of Orchid (as your on the beach looking out to sea) is very easy also.

Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in vieques

well, barracuda and jellyfish can be anywhere.

aside from that, id say mosquito pier at high tide. not the actual pier but the rock wall that makes up the road leading to the pier.

its called rompeolas(sp)

you park at the beach wihich is to the left through the grass as you first turn onto the road off the main road the snorkeling is easy and relaxed

you can snorkel along the wall and back a few times. theres tons of fish and other things.

Edited: 23 March 2011, 05:45
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in vieques

I have to agree with frank. The swim out and back from the island at red/caracas can be tough for a kid. I've never had much luck on the left side of caracas either. you might try the left side of secret for beginners to get your bearings, then once you feel comfy try the right side(farthest away from the entrance). I would also suggest walking on the beach to get across ,it gets deeper in the middle .

Franks suggestion is probably the best place though. There are always a ton of starfish,squirel fish,tangs,wrass as you swim the pier. I might also suggest you pick up a good fish identification book too and there is a map that is free that shows you spots as well.

Lancaster County, PA
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in vieques

When we were there in February, we enjoyed snorkeling at both fishing piers in Esperanza. The water is shallow and it is easy to see a good number of fish. The smaller pier on the right doesn't have as much, but the water was shallower and I did see fairly large schools of fish - thrilling for young kids. Of all the places we snorkeled, including Mosquito Pier, I thought this was the easiest. At Mosquito Pier, if you drive to the end of the pier, just before the gate that you can't go through, go down the rocks on the left - kids can just stick their heads in the water and see starfish and small schools of bright fish.

5. Re: snorkeling in vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question