We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W Hotel and Resort

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
W Hotel and Resort

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has actually stayed at the W yet. I am going for 3 nights w/ my boyfriend and we're using points for the room - so we're lucky there. I kind of expected that it would be more expensive, but we were planning on buying some of our own snacks/beer. But reading through some of the posts, I was getting nervous...maybe we should book at one of the non-chain hotels? I didn't realize it was on the other side of the island from everything else, but I also thought the island was small enough to get around on Publicos and be OK for getting to restaurants / small bars/ other beaches / etc. Thoughts on this?

Are the beaches at the W not as good as the beaches elsewhere on the island? If so, which other beaches do you recommend visiting?

Thanks so much!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: W Hotel and Resort

Hi, we stayed at the W in Nov on points and we enjoyed it! they were having wave action while we were there and the hotels beach was off limits due to the high surf. We did make it to a few of the beaches and you need a car so rent on early, they go fast and try the bio tour, it's quite the experience!

one plus is that's it's only a few miles from the airport! You'll have a great time.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: W Hotel and Resort

Hi, we haven't actually stayed at the hotel but have visited it.

It is not actually "on the other side of the island from everything else"; for instance it is on the same side as the largest town, Isabel II, but it is not close enough to be able to walk to attractions or off- property restaurants. We're not sure how publico service is to the hotel, but in all honesty you cannot rely on publicos to visit the island's best attractions (ie the furthest out beaches)

In our opinion, the best beaches ARE on the other side of the island from the W, and you really should rent a car to explore them. This would apply no matter where you stay. You should visit Playas Sun Bay, Navio, Caracas (Red), La Chiva (Blue), Prieta (Secret) and Plata (Orchid). Green Beach, which like W is on the north side, is also a nice beach with stunning views back to the main island.

Hope that helps you decide.

Georgia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: W Hotel and Resort

Thanks - this is helpfu. A couple of follow up quesitons:

- Is it typical that the hotel's beach off limits?

- What company do you recommend renting a car from, and about how much did it cost?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W Hotel and Resort

Rent from whoever has a car, they are in short supply. Newer cars rent for $70.00plus a day sometimes you can find a rent a wreck type vehicle for less, try Marcos. Where ever you stay you will want a car for at least a few days.

No it is not typical for the beach to be closed.

DC
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: W Hotel and Resort

We've been to the W for drinks and it's beautiful. Also, my colleague and her husband stayed there recently (using points!) and absolutely loved it. Their only "complaint" was they ate dinner at the hotel restaurant the first night and the bill was approximately $250 for two.

Unfortunately they hadn't rented a car but said next time they would so they could visit other restaurants, other beaches and stock up on provisions at the grocery store.

Have fun!

Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: W Hotel and Resort

This question keeps coming up. I've racked my brain trying to come up with an analogy for people to explain where the W is and what the beaches are like there and what they might miss. It's tough, but the best I can come up with, given my limited travel experiences, is imagine going to Yellowstone and not seeing any of the geysers. You see the Rockies, some deer, moose and elk but you miss the what the park is best known for, it's geothermal features. Going to Vieques and not seeing the eastern beaches or experiencing the bio-bay is, in a way, akin to my analogy. At Yellowstone you need to get out and drive, even doing some hiking to glean what are the parks real jewels. If you stayed in a lodge at the park and never left you would miss all of that. Vieques, IMHO, is the same way. Some of the best beaches on the island are only accessable by "you" and your rental, not a publico. There is a marked difference between the northern shore and the southern shore. Some may like the darker sand and rockier beaches of the north side rather than the powder fine white beaches on the caribbean side (I wouldn't understand this myself...just saying).

I've not stayed at the W. I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun and yes it was nice. But, IMHO, even if the Ritz was on the north shore of Vieques and you stayed there you would still miss the best that Vieques has to offer. There are a plethora of houses to rent, from modest homes to mulit-million dollar estates You would be very surprised to see what you could rent for the same amount at the W.

If one cannot live without pampering and really needs all the amenities the W offers, then yes stay there.

This is just my opinion. I base it on three trips to the island so far. I've stayed at the Hacienda Tamarindo, Casa Dos Chivos and Quinta Jabali. I would recommend all three, just depends on what you want.

As for beaches I highly recommend visiting the wildlife refuge beaches on the southeastern shore, but like the other posters have said you'll need a car. We've rented from Maritzas and Martineau. No problems with either. I've payed from $50-$75 a day. If your going to rent a car you absolutely need to rent it early, like months in advance.

I also would highly recommend doing the bio-bay tour. We've went on the tour with Island Adventures. Had a great time.

We keep a blog of our adventures on the island. Pics, videos and narratives. You can find it here if your interested:

http://www.afterthemortage.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps some. Whichever you decide you'll have a great time....because you'll be on Vieques.

Curt

Bluffton, Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: W Hotel and Resort

I was curious about the W too. How are the pools there? Is it true they have floating lounge chairs?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: W Hotel and Resort

No it is all a lie LOL!

Who do you suspect is lying??????T

the pools are beautiful !

The hotel is beautiful!

Vieques is very cool and the W is certainly an option!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: W Hotel and Resort

To answer your question about the W beaches, sometimes during the fall and probably at other times of the year, the islands get north to south surge, there is a name for it but darn if I can remember it, The W is on the north side of the island and the surf is quite rough at times, this is typical of all the local islands when this happens. Other posters are correct, the nicer beaches are on the south side and worth the visit! We enjoyed our time at the W and are planning a return visit. Hope this helps.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: W Hotel and Resort

i have friends who stayed there and loved the place, but it is definetly not for someone on a limited budget, it is an expensive experience.