We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

We had an absolutely fantastic stay in Vieques March 19- 23!

We flew into SJU, took a cab to SIG and flew VAL to Vieques, arriving about 6:00 PM. We were 20 lbs. over on our luggage and ended up paying about $10 each way, but that seemed well worth it and the employees at both airports were very friendly. The flights were smooth and we enjoyed the amazing views!

We stayed at the Hacienda Tamarindo and loved it! At check in we got a friendly welcome and a helpful tour. We loved the atmosphere and the beautiful property. Our room was very simple but had everything we needed (beach chairs, cooler & beach towels were great). The honor bar and snacks were very handy and fairly reasonable. The bed was one of the hardest I've ever slept in, but that was our only complaint. All of the staff was very friendly and great about directions, recommendations and making reservations for us. The breakfasts were fantastic!! We tried the special each day and loved the fresh fruit & juices. The location was also very handy- close to the malecon and an easy drive to Isabel & the beaches.

We rented a Suzuki through Maritza's and were perfectly happy with everything.

Our first full day on the island was gray and drizzly until 3 pm, so we checked out the lighthouse, Beach Doggies, and drove around Isabel. After lunch we layed by Hacienda's great pool in hopes of sunshine. The sun did come out around 3 and it was beautiful until sunset.

On Day 2 we started with the Cayo Afuera kayak/snorkeling trip through Abe's. Our guide, Jeff, was great- lots of fun! We enjoyed the tour, though we didn't see anything too exciting. We then spent the afternoon at Sun Bay, which we thought was beautiful! We went on the 6:00 BioBay tour through Island Adventures. Mark, our guide, was excellent! What an amazing experience!!

Day 3 was a beach day. We started at Red beach which was beautiful but started to get a little crowded after lunch. We intended to check out several of the beaches, but after making the trek to Playuela, we couldn't tear ourselves away. Wow! Well worth the walk! There were never more than 6 other people on the whole beach and it was gorgeous!

We love good food and I had done lots of Trip Advisor homework before going. Our favorites by FAR were Coconuts & Sol Food. We happened to drive by the Sol Food truck and immediately turned around to grab some lunch. The Spanish shrimp pinchos were perfect and my husband loved his pulled pork with purple slaw. So glad we got to try it! The other two days we ordered a packed lunch from Hacienda tamarindo. It was fine and pretty substantial- and very convenient!

At Coconuts the hostess, bartender and waitress all went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I tried the sushi pizza (amazing!) and my husband had wonderful churrasco. The ice cream was to die for! We had an ok dinner, but good drinks at Duffy's. Island Adventures restaurant was good- I had a conch salad and my husband had fried shrimp. Veritas was beautiful and happy hour was great, but dinner was disappointing. I had Caribbean Lobster mac & cheese which was good, but not great. My husband had the most tastless ribeye either of us have ever tried. Our waitress was very rushed and never cracked a smile.

We flew out of Vieques at 9:30 AM on Day 4 and just hated to leave! We spent 4 nights in Vieques and two in Old San Juan. We enjoyed OSJ also, but if we had it to do over, would've spent more time in Vieques. We're already dreaming about going back!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Sun Bay
Sun Bay
686 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,086 Reviews
Puerto Rico
The Hideout Outdoor Activities
Horseback Riding Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Bieque Eco Trips - Tours
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Blue Waters Caribbean Adventures
Horseback Riding Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Black Beard Sports
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

Thanks for the review. We will be there soon too and can hardly wait. We will be looking for that SOL truck.

Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

Great report...so reminds us of our first trip to the island, we also stayed at the Hacienda. Great place, isn't it! Did you enjoy the "caribbean news" delivered to you at your table during breakfast?

Curt

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

sounds great

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

thanks for the report

reports like that are never long enough

lol

5. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 11:18
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

Thanks for returning here to share your experiences, and as frankiepoo said, we too could have gone on reading more. No doubt you will be back- it gets under your skin!

Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

Yes it does! And Curt- yes, loved the Caribbean news at breakfast :)

8. Re: Trip Report- March 2011 (Long)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 07:18