We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First of many questions

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
504 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First of many questions

Hi,

1) We fly into SJU on a Tues at 2:17pm. Booked the 5:15 flight from SIG to VQS on Vieques Air Link. Sound good?

For the return, we leave SJU at 1:19pm. I was only aware of a 7:30 am flight from VQS when I booked. I now see that there is a 9:30am flight. Should I pay a change fee to avoid the early morning travel? Will it be difficult to drop the Maritza rental and be at the airport at that hour?

2) DH prefers to travel with his laptop. Is this reasonable? Is internet access readily available? What about securing the device when we leave the hotel?

3) What should we expect to pay for renting snorkel equipment for the week?

4) Advice on traveling in July? It seems we've booked during Patronales. Since it's our first trip we don't know what to expect.

Thanks!!!!

Indiana
Level Contributor
875 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First of many questions

In our trips to the island it has been much easier if we return the rental car when the rental business is open. The exception to this was Martineau which let us leave the rental car at the airport.

I always travel with my laptop. No problem other than when you go through the security check at the ariport you need to take the laptop out of it's case and put it in a bin all by itself.

Many of the houses on the island have high speed internet. You mention "hotel", there are few hotels, at least in the conventional sense, on the island. Have you already booked? We've had no problems locking our rental houses and leaving. There are a couple of hotspots for internet on the island...Tradewinds and the historical society in Esperanza and Roys in Isabel. There's probably more but that's all I'm aware of.

We bought snorkel equiptment prior to our first visit. I have information on what we bought and how it worked here. It was very reasonable and has worked for many other trips.

…blogspot.com/2010/…viequesaka-paradise.html

Some of the rental houses have snorkel gear as well as other beach gear.

I've never been in Vieques during the summer months so I'm unable to advise on that.

Hope this helps some..

Curt

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First of many questions

which airlines did you check for your flight?

i always go with Vieques Air Link when I can. they have a 9am to Isla Grande as well. I would call them and see if they are willing to switch your flight with no fee. they may do it. either way i think it would be worth it to give yourself a couple of extra hours to breathe.

There is internet access at the square in Isabel 2. unless they disconnected it. It is free wifi.

Not sure what the gear rental prices are, but, check out blackbeards. depending on the cost, it may be worth it to either buy your own and bring it or buy it there. you can always try to sell it before you go. there is a 2nd hand store on the island that pays a fair price. it may be less cost to you that way.

What resources have you used to plan your trip? check out(google) the vieques events and the enchanted-isle.com sites.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First of many questions

1) Your flights from and to SIG (Isla Grande) are fine. The 9:00 am to SIG is Sunday only if that fits your schedule. The 9:30 am flight is to SJU. You will incur a higher fee for that leg and possibly a fee change as well. Maritza will work with you on leaving the rental vehicle at the airport for an early departure from here.

2) Check with your hotel as to internet/wireless access. Most have it. Don't expect blazing speed though.

3) $12 to $15 per day is the going rate for mask, snorkel and fins.

4) July is a good time to be here. You may well encounter some rain. No different than the SE USA. Patronales is a lot of fun in my opinion. It's a chance to engage in a local custom and get a bit of local flavor.

Have fun.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
504 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First of many questions

We are staying in a hotel. So there will be no true ability to lock the house. I am concerned about the safety of leaving a laptop in a hotel room if the safe isn't large enough.

Sounds like we should consider buying and reselling some snorkel equipment on the island given the rental price. The 25 lb limit on the puddle jumper has me seriously prioritizing what we pack.

VQSJim, I'm pretty sure that I saw a 9 or 9:30 flight to SIG on the search at VAL's website. I guess I will call and see if they will work with me. Otherwise, it's time to put in a call to car agency.

Also, thanks for the comment on Patronales. We are definitely intrigued.

Indiana
Level Contributor
875 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First of many questions

When we fly cap air the weight limit applies to our carry-on (which is stowed in the wings of the plane). Our other luggage, usually two 50lb bags are stowed in the belly of the plane. We stay for two weeks and pack accordingly.

If you've not snorkeled before I encourage you to buy a "dry" snorkel. That's what we did and it has worked out great. When buying fins be sure to buy something that will fit in your suitcase.

:-)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
504 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First of many questions

I was able to get the VAL departure changed with no problem. Now we can enjoy our morning.

Curt - thanks. I will call and clarify the baggage policy.

I know the fins will be a big consideration. My daughter actually has a dry snorkel and it looks much improved over what I grew up using.

7. Re: First of many questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 06:21