We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques or Anguilla

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques or Anguilla

We love Anguilla but looking to try somewhere a bit easier to get to in

February 2012. Vieques has always interested us. Anyone been to both that can compare the beaches.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
898 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques or Anguilla

The beaches in Anguilla are far superior but Vieques won't disappoint you since it is still consider best beaches in the world. Go for it!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques or Anguilla

Vieques & Anguilla are as different as night & day. In my experience, all the islands in the Caribbean (at last count I'd been to twenty plus) have unique qualities making comparisons a little murky, but I'll try.

Vieques is a sleepy little island, very laid-back and funky, no pretense.

The island has a long Spanish history evident by the predominant language, culture and historical fort.

There is only one major resort here & compared to those on Anguilla it's miniscule, although very well-appointed and a great place for a sunset drink.

The departure of the Navy left Vieques with the largest green space in the Caribbean.

Any two places on the island are separated by a twenty-twenty-five minute drive at most.

There are two main towns - Isabel II on the north coast & Esperanza on the south and quaint barrios in between.

Oh, wait. You wanted to know about the beaches? There are 40, 'nuff said?

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques or Anguilla

You should try Vieques if you are a nature lover. It is not as "fabulous", and you will see trash, stray dogs, and have to watch where you put your valuables (just don't bring any) but the beaches are fantastic and varied. The island is more lush and green than Anguilla and the bio bay is spectacular. You can rent a house with a pool and views for much less (casa cumbre!). If you like to eat, you'll find the choices aren't as many, but you can get a good meal. The beach bar party scene is not as strong, but there are a few places in Esperanza. And of course there is Al's Mar Azul in Isabela.

I really loved Anguilla, and I really, really love Vieques. It's more of an adventure. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
330 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques or Anguilla

After 18 vacations on Anguilla, we decided to visit Vieques last November. It's beaches are probably not as nice as Meads Bay but they are really nice, I think it compares to St. John where beaches like Hawsksnest, Solomon and Honeymoon are the way they were 30 years ago, same with Vieques, since the Navy left a few years ago, it's as pristine as it was in the 50's. We stayed at the W and had a great vacation, returning this Nov!!!

5. Re: Vieques or Anguilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques