We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there from San Juan Airport

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Randolph, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting there from San Juan Airport

So, I really don't like to fly on those little planes! Is there a way to get to the Vieques that makes sense, like the ferry, or is it really unreliable, uncomfortable, etc..... My friends are really down on the ferry but I'm not sure why.

Please advise! Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

Perhaps you've already done so, but if not, take a look at the top question to the right of this page "How do I get from San Juan to Vieques?" Pretty much every available option short of rowing or swimming is covered.

There are those who swear by the ferry & we'll leave it to them to chime in, but we always fly from San Juan 'cause we're always so darn eager to just get to the island.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

Bruce and John have got it right.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

The ferry is a great option if you have time, money and feel a little adventurous. You would have to take a one hour drive or cab ride. The taxi fare to Fajardo will be $120.00. The ferry from Fajardo will be $2.00 one way, $4.00 roundtrip. The ride in the Ferry it could be around 2 hours and a half it all depends on the ocean, how calm or strong it is.

Honestly the flight fare to Vieques could be from $35.00 in advance. It will be less time consuming.

Whichever you choose it is not a bad option it all depends on what you consider comfortable or how much money are you willing to spend.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

gitanamundo must work for the ailines, lol

just kidding. your info is a little exaggerated though,

the ferry wont take more than 90 minutes. it is likely to take around 60 to 75 minutes

a pre arranged ride to fajardo costs about $80 not $120

$35 flights to vieques are from Ceiba, whic takes the same ride as to the ferry. so thats misleading info

moving on...

it is so much more covenient to fly.

look into it.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

I never took the ferry b/c I just want to hurry and get the travel over with. from san juan you'd have to get to the west coast plus the travel time of the ferry to the island. to be honest those small planes are smoother than some jet liners and I felt just as safe - or safer! maybe b/c you can actually see the pilot. and btw, before you know it -- you're already landing! :0)

Edited: 11 July 2011, 15:56
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
342 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

typo....I meant the EAST coast. :0)

Brinnon, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

why does this site tell us to go ciebra? They say the flight is only $28.00

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

beach-4-life5. I'm not sure what site you are referring to. Current OW fare for VAL from Ceiba to Vieques is $30 pp. to the best of my knowledge. Add that to the $80 taxi fare for 2 from SJU to Ceiba and you have $70 pp. You can fly from Isla Grande (SIG) outside OSJ with VAL for $62 pp. OW. The cost is essentially a wash either way...but you save a lot of time by flying from SIG.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

Hello all,

Someone posted this on TA regarding taxi fare from SJU to Fajardo.

tripadvisor.com/…34092846

Any input on this?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting there from San Juan Airport

I'm planning on taking Cape Air