We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Jackson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
65 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

I know that "expensive" means many things to many people but since we are renting a villa we will be purchasing things like coffee, sugar, milk, light breakfast food, snacks. We also will be eating out a lot also and wonder prices of restaurants. Two years ago we stayed in St. John and milk was $9.00-$10.00 a gallon..to me that was expensive so is Vieques like that? Any input is greatly appreciated as this is our first time in Vieques!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Not sure in Vieques, but in P. R. the gallon of milk is $ 6.08, that's expensive to me. All food is expensive here. I could imagine that it is even more in Vieques, since they have to ship it there. Coffee is not bad, about $ 5.50 a pound, but bread, eggs and so on are high if you don't buy it on special.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Coffee, Rice and Sugar are subsidized by the PR Government so those prices are very good here. You need to look though.. A 2 pound bag of sugar from the DR will be about $2...A 2 pound bag of sugar from Florida may be $5. Local coffee is very good and cheap in my opinion $4.95 for a pound... Rice is everywhere and cheap. A 10 and 1/2 ounce bag of chips will set you back about $4.29.

Restaurants can run the gamut, but you can find something within your budget with little problem.

DC
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Groceries in Vieques aren't particularly expensive. Restaurants on the island run the gamut. Enjoy!

Indiana
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Package of frozen chicken breasts were $8-9 (large pkg)

Package of 4 pork chops frozen $8-9

Package of 6 frozen beef patties $9

Juice, milk, eggs and bread very similar to here in Indiana

Very limited supply of frozen veggies...most things were canned.

Case of Corona $40

We always bring our own beans for coffee...just one of our quirks

IMO - the cost of most food staples were very reasonable. Setting aside the beer (unless your into Medalla) I would at most add 10% to the cost you would pay in the states. To us it's a non-issue, aside from the beer.

Restaurants run like this... $30 for two at Island Adventures...$35 at Duffys.....Coconuts for two $75....Next Course $150 (these were all evening meals and I've missed A LOT of restaurants). But this is all academic...because...if you look up at the left hand column of this page, near the top, you'll see a link to restaurants and can get a list of all the restaurants, listed in order of popularity. Not only that..once you have the list of restaurants you can google the name with "vieques" and most will have a web page where you can get exact prices as well as business hours and locations.

Hope this helps some...

Curt

We keep a blog of our trips with other sorts of info, pics, video. Some of it may help a bit. You can find it here if your interested:

http://afterthemortage.blogspot.com/

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
498 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Just want to add. We bought some staples like crackers, juice, peanut butter. I was surprised to find them similar to non-sale prices at home in a nicer grocery store. Wine could be had for $10 - $15 per bottle and up. Liquor (esp. rum) runs from well below what we pay here to high-end specialty-store prices. Medalla beer is CHEAP.

Expect to pay dearly for bug repellent and sunscreen.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Just to be clear. Frozen vegtables are limited but we do have fresh vegtables available, maybe not the variety that you get at home but between the vegtable stand on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the produce truck ( delivery on Fridays) and what Morales and Portelas bring in You can usually make a decent salad and enjoy some imported and tropical fruits and vegatables.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

i would say it is about average for a meal in seattle, washington or maybe even new york, so yes, it is costly, to eat out, i think. the food at coconuts in isabel segunda is so excellent, though!!

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

What is reasonable and where in the world is anything reasonable? I do not think going to the grocery store in Vieques is any more than anywhere else. I feel that things like chicken, ground beef and certain cuts of pork are the same or less than U.S. Filet mignon, shrimp and lobster are expensive everywhere. Same in Vieques. Fresh fruits and vegetables are readily available - either at the fruit truck, farmers market or Morales. Seasonal, local fruits and veggies will be less than out of season imports. Same as anywhere else. As far as restaurants go - I feel that no matter where you are in the world, (with the exception of New York, London, Paris and certain other major cities) there is little difference in the cost of a restaurant meal. You can either eat, or you can dine. Eatting in Vieques can be good and reasonable. You can go to a local place like Al Fogar for some mofungo or have burgers at Duffy's for about $40 a couple. You can dine at Coconuts or Conuco or Bili for more, or you can go all out for El Quenepo. Or, you can buy some great fresh fish, lobster or conch at the Pescaderia and have a feast at home. There are choices for every taste and pocketbook. If I wanted things in Vieques to be the way they were where I used to live, I shouldn't have left. Does that make sense? Embrace the difference.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Totally agree, MujerDelMar. We've had some feasts cobbled together relying on Goya canned goods and a bottle of Veuve Cliquot from Morales, we've dined out as well as anywhere we've ever eaten, and we've experienced great "street food". To us it's all relative- we judge based on "value" rather than "cost".

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is food costly in Vieques? And how about restaurants?

Bruce and John - I have really enjoyed your stories. Recently tried your Bacalao Stew. All of the years I have spent in the Caribbean eyeing the dreaded salted fish and wondering if people really ate it - I am now one of those people! You gave me the courage to try it! I added okra and some lobster body/leg meat as well as some chorizo. Both my husband and my Viequense next door neighbor loved it.

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations