We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Troubles with the Ferry

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
431 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More Troubles with the Ferry

I have read from several sources that there are major problems with the ferry service right now. There is only one ferry boat servicing both Vieques & Culebra! If you're traveling to Vieques in the next few weeks, you might want to think twice about planning to use the ferry service. Fly!!. If you absolutely need to take the ferry for budget reasons, make sure you get to the terminal as early as possible to secure your ticket.

Maybe other who live on Vieques can add more info to this post.

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: More Troubles with the Ferry

Demonstrators staged protests today and brought the ferry to a halt. No service.

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Troubles with the Ferry

Ferrry seems to be running today - don't know what route though. Have heard the horn this a.m.

Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Troubles with the Ferry

We are leaving for Puerto Rico in a few days and are of course concerned about the ferry. I know we could fly in, but our budget is tight already so I'd really prefer not to.

We are planning on trying to buy tickets to the ferry on 9/28 (spending that night in Fajardo) and would like to be on the 9:30, 9/29 ferry over. Any suggestions on what time we should show up to get our tickets on 9/28?

If something goes wrong with the ferry is it likely we will still be able to get a flight if we drive to the airport? We already paid for the condo in Vieques so have to get over there some way. What is the closest airport with flights to Vieques from Fajardo?

VIEQUES
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More Troubles with the Ferry

The ferry schedule remains a mess. It is rumored to remain a mess until mid October. I have no confidence in any "temporary schedule" posted by the Maritime Authority even if you are holding a ticket with a time posted on it. Get to the ticket window early on the 28TH and see what happens. On the 29TH, expect the worst and hope for the best.

Plan "B" is to take a Publico to Ceiba Airport 15 minutes south of Fajardo and get on standby with Vieques Air Link. A 5 minute flight and the best $30 per person you will ever spend in my opinion.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
928 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Troubles with the Ferry

Our experience has been that you can not purchase tickets, unless you are a resident of PR, any sooner than an hour before departure time. Many people get in line well before that 1 hr to make certain they get a ticket.

6. Re: More Troubles with the Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques