We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

dallas tx
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

staying in vieques for two days,some horse ridding TOO????thanks in advanve

Carthage, Missouri
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

We had several beginners in our group, including a 6 year old and my 68 year old mother. We found the far left side of Sun Bay, as you are looking at the water, to be very calm. It is shallow enough to walk out, and not very far from shore are a lot of rocks. In between the rocks are clear spaces with fish, starfish, sea urchins and other critters. Be careful, however, as we saw 4 lionfish. If you don't know what they are, look them up. If you see one, just back away and move on. They were all hanging out between the rocks.

A few tips for beginners: Don't kick the coral or rocks. When you get close, try to avoid standing on the bottom as this kicks up sand and obscures your vision. Simply float SLOWLY with the current, a couple feet away from what you are looking at. Many small creatures hide in the crevices between rocks and coral and lots of people never see them because they go too fast.

Relax, and have fun!

Edited: 12 October 2011, 15:47
Indiana
Level Contributor
850 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

There is easy snorkeling off of Caracas (red beach). The east side of the beach is easily accessed and has plenty to see. I have some video of it here:

Go to the Sat Nov 13 2010 entry and the video is there

…blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

There is some easy snorkeling off the south side of Orchid beach that you can literally stand near and look at through your mask. I watched a number of people do it.

You can go to a lot of the beaches and just swim not far at all from the shore and see fish, even in just sand bottom. We had a blast doing it on Playa Chiva.

Don't know when your going to the island, but I'll be there in a bit over 3 weeks and I plan on posting a lot more (hopefully better) video.

Hope this helps some

Curt

Carthage, Missouri
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

Recommend Esperanza Riding Company for your horseback adventure. We really enjoyed it and Elizabeth is great. It consistently gets good reviews.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

the left side of mosquito pier is, in my opinion, is the best place for a beginner to snorkel. the water is almost always calm and there is alot to see

5. Re: Calm waters for snorkeling beginners??????????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques