We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you need to rent a car in Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Do you need to rent a car in Vieques

My husband and I are going to Vieques for only 3 days. We are staying at the W, and we want to see the bio-luminescent bay. Should we take a taxi around, or would it be better to rent a car?

Indiana
Level Contributor
824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you need to rent a car in Vieques

You'll find some answers to your question on the upper right hand of this page under "Top questions about Isla de Vieques".

Aside from what is mentioned in FAQ above I might add that the reasons "we" go to Vieques is because of the prestine powder white beaches in the refuge. Also, we enjoy the vibe of the island, due to a large degree to it's "lack" of development. IMHO neither of these qualities can be fully experienced without a rental car. I do believe that the "publicos" (Vieques version of a taxi, which is really a large passanger van that you'll probably have to share with others) will take you to Caracas, but not beyond that.

It really all boils down into what your wanting from your experience. If your taste lends itself to what the W has to offer, then no, you probably won't need a rental. If you would like to find yourself on a stretch of white sand alone with your significant other, then yes rent a car.

Just my 2 cents....

There's a video below of my wife and I hiking back to Garcia. In a way, it explains what I'm talking about.

Curt

…blogspot.com/2011/02/chiva-beach-gate-close…

Edited: 20 October 2011, 00:16
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you need to rent a car in Vieques

yes

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you need to rent a car in Vieques

Hi, Kroos -

I think I can make this very simple. Picture yourselves going to Cape Cod for "only three days" and staying at any hotel without a car. How will you see the area?

If you're in need of the kind of vacation where you flat on your back on a sandy beach for three days, then maybe you could get by without a car on Vieques but you wouldn't want to be at the W (significantly removed from the most popular walk-to attractions) and you probably wouldn't want to be in Vieques as we're not really well-suited for the lie flat on your back thing.

To consider: you're coming for the sun & sea, yes? When it rains you'll want to drive to another beach where the sun is shining.

I always tell guests "cut back on the room cost if you must to get a car but YES you will want a car in Vieques" That is of course unless you're very young and somewhat poor in which case you can get by without by staying in Esperanza and being very nice to everyone you meet (in the hopes that they'll offer you a lift here or there).

Good luck and buen viaje!

4. Re: Do you need to rent a car in Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 10:23