We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

Brookline
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

Anyone with an update on current reliability of "lancha" passenger ferry to/ from Vieques. We are family of 4, kids ages 11 and 12, first trip to PR/Vieques, hoping to save $ and avoid flying. We like ports and boats in general. We are staying in Carolina for a few nights, travelling to Vieques on a Sunday and returning on a Thurs in time for a 140PM flight from SJU. Can we count on getting over on a Sunday 1 PM trip (or is the 930a more reliable) and returning on the Thurs 630a trip? We understand no advance tickets or reservations, and we still have to arrange transport from Carolina to Fajardo, then back to SJU from Fajardo. Next choice probably VAL from Isla Grande but we'd rather spend the $500 or so on adventures other than flying, unless Fajarodo/Lancha experience really unpleasant or unreliable.

Mentioned in this post
Carolina
Carolina
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

Here is some updated information: …blogspot.com/2011/…answer-about-ferries.html

The bottom line is if you're going to rely on the ferry you better leave a lot of flexibility in your travel schedule.

Brookline
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

Thanks, very helpful.

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

The alternative is to take a flight from Ceiba airport in Fajardo. The flights are much cheaper -- about $30 each way -- and far more reliable than the ferry. My suggestion is to arrange return pick up from Ceiba airport with the taxi driver you use to get there. It is much, much easier than trying to get a taxi from Ceiba.

Mentioned in this post
Ceiba
Ceiba
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

I heard that some people last week got stuck in Culebra and had to fly because the Ferry left an hour before schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

*Sigh* I am going to Vieques nov 12th with a group of 16 O_o we really had our collective hearts set on using the ferry to save as much $$ as possible!! I'll have to give them a heads up that we may have to fly instead. Should I still have hope and just crazy call the dock that morning to see how operations are going or I am i just going to have to give up on the Ferry idea entirely? Also if anyone has recently used the ferry and happens to come across this thread PLEASE share the experience *fingers crossed*

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

personally, with 16 people, I would try the ferry.

thats alot of money to save.

meanwhile, i would call the airlines and find out what kind of advance notice they need to charter a plane. From Ceiba, you may be able todo it "on the fly" in case the ferry doesnt work out

lol

that is a wednesday. one option(other please chime in) is to try to make the 4am cargo ferry if you will already be in PR. If there is no gas truck on it, you will likely have no problems. better though, if one of your party speaks spanish, try to contact the ferry office and see if one is scheduled for it.

but if you are arriving in SJ and immediately going to vieques, thats not really an option.

if you will be on the east coast, going by the terminal prior to find out about a gas truck is better.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 00:38
tog
Guildford,UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

Does anyone know how much the taxi fare is fron San Juan airport to Ceiba airport? Does that work out cheaper than flying direct fro San Juan to Vieques?

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Ceiba
Ceiba
Puerto Rico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

I read in today's El nuevo dia that 2 boats were taken out of service - not sure if they're cargo and/or passenger ferry boats. I think they're are only 2 boats running at the moment. This is a rough (google) translation of the article:

elnuevodia.com/varadosusuariosdelanchasdevie…

This information was confirmed by Ferdinand Cedeño, chief executive of Maritime Transport.

"We have several boats out of service. But if we have two boats running. Inter Island and Cayo Largo. What happens is that the transport capacity of these is very low, so just because we are transporting residents is our priority "said Cedeño.

"The situation we have is that the boat was damaged Fajardo II transmission. But they are struggling with it now. The Caribbean will be inspected tomorrow and is also supposed to be working tomorrow. Key target will repair dela island of St. Thomas tomorrow, inspect and Wednesday hope to have it working. " Cedeno said.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

Typically the fare is around $80 (give or take). Depending on how many people are going, the taxi fare could be less expensive than flying.

Something else to consider about flying is that the small planes have a weight limit of 25 lbs of luggage person (that is your suitcase, carry on, purse, etc. combined). This has not been an issue for me when traveling, but it has been a concern for some of my friends.

I hope this helps!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Update on ferry Fajardo to Vieques Nov 13

A few days ago I had a reservation on the 4:30 pm cargo ferry to bring a new car to Vieques from Fajardo. I arrived VERY early just to make sure there actually was a ferry. They hurried me on to a half empty boat and we left before 3pm.

And a flittle while ago I watched the big cargo passenger ferry leave Vieques and head for Culebra.

All this does not bode well for reliability.

But with sixteen I still might risk it, you will probably get here if get to the dock by mid afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico