We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

B-More
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Topic
Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

My wife and I will be visiting Vieques for the first time in December. We enjoy beaches, hiking & biking, kayaking, casual dining, art and music. What are some of your favorite things to do and places to go on Vieques that you look forward to experiencing upon your return?

Indiana
Level Contributor
864 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

Having just sat thru a weeks worth of gray November Indiana days, we miss the warm weather and sunshine on Vieques....but I know that's not what your asking.

We've only been back for a week now. Last trip was #4. We'll be back in 8 weeks for #5. We stay for two weeks at a time. This last trip we only ate out twice. Coconuts and Duffys. Neither place is anything extraordinary. So what did we do for two weeks and why are we going back again, so soon. Well to be totally honest we just really like the place. It's undeveloped and just feels comfortable to us. I don't think there's anything over the top about the island, other than the bio-bay. But then again...once you've done it I'm not exactly sure you would again. We haven't, but others might I suppose .

We spent nearly all our time, this last trip, at Orchid. Nothing special about Orchid. Powder white sands and those beautiful Caribbean water colors, but you can see all that in Grenada, sans people. There are a lot of beaches to visit on Vieques and that is a plus. This last trip we checked out Escondida for the first time. Spent a couple days at our old fav, La Chiva.

There is some hiking you can do and even some outfitters to help make it happen. I've not hooked up with any of them yet but I dd hike back to the cliffs off of Garcia Feb of this year. Beautiful and I was the only one there.

We are beach-lovers and eschew the manicured beach fronts of the U.S. Being able to find a beach and spent 7 or 8 hours there all alone is priceless to us. My wife and I spent 2 days at Escondida this last trip and we had the whole place to ourselves.

At times there's a certain feeling of living on the edge when your there. Accomplishing certain mundane tasks can become an adventure for us, to others it might seem a real inconvenience.

Oh I just remembered we ate out 3 times, forgot about the pizza from Lazy Jacks.

I know I'm not giving you a whole lot of specifics and I might seem rather nebulous, but it's difficult for us to quantify. It's the little things that we notice. The young people riding the horses down the streets bareback. The horses in the road. The beach hen that was begging for food on Secret beach. The roosters crowing. The smell of the island...yes it has a distintive smell...well at least to us. I think it's the evening jasmine. We really enjoy the people we do meet. There's a crowd that Vieques attracts, at least the repeat visitors and it seems we share a common thread with them.

Give me a beach where theres umbrellas lined as if someone had used a transit and I'm ready to vomit. Throw in a dozen jet skies and a couple yo-yo's para sailing and I'm ready to crawl behind a palm and hide. But give me a secluded mile stretch of beach where I can enjoy the moment with my wife and I'm in paradise.

That's why we keep coming back.

Curt

I have a video on our blog that kinda summarzing what I'm trying to convey here. You can find it here...if your interested:

…blogspot.com/2011/11/slown-it-down.html

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

We're pretty much on the same page as Curt. Long, lazy days at the beach are the main draw. While there are numerous decent restaurants, we too only make it out for dinner a couple of times in each visit. We get a big kick out of hunting for our food & preparing dinner, then finishing off that bottle of wine listening to the local night life- the crickets, frogs, occasional rooster and/ or bull, etc.

Here's a link to the Vieques- tagged posts from our blog- should give you some idea of what we get up to when we're on-island.

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

Okay, dying to know... hunting for your food? What have you "hunted"? :) Fish, coconuts, etc? Sounds fun!

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

JSpur - We'll be there for the second time in two weeks! We cannot wait! I hope you have a wonderful time - I have never felt more relaxed then while I've been on Vieques.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

check out the vieques events magazine online. it has a list of events for the calender month as well as by the day. there are lots of great idea there too. it is very informative.

make sure you do the bio bay.

many people are enjoying horse back riding now as well as kayak trips.

you dont mention that you have a car. i assume you do. i get to my house there about 8 times a year. generally every 4 to 6 weeks. what i look forward to during the day or night is just being there. something about being there is great. maybe its not being at work. lol.

i look forward to the long beach days. napping under an umbrella with the sound of the waves and blue sky. its heaven. I also look forward to the dining. and seeing my friends.

B-More
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

Thanks for the responses. I have frequently traveled to the Eastern Caribbean and find the perspective of return visitors to be best because

they can help me shorten the learning curve for a new destination and they have usually moved beyond touristy activities.

We will likely alternate between relaxing and adventurous days on Vieques.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

Haha, morggie, it's more "hunting high & low" than actual hunting. It's usually a matter of "OK, it's Monday, where will we find lettuce", "Do you think Buen Provecho has tahini?"- stuff like that. Part of the charm! We do harvest our own rosemary, limes & bananas where we stay, but that's about as native as we get.

Having said all of that, we'd welcome advice on where to go to get mangos right off the tree (in April- are they even in season?!) Anyone?

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

LOL! OH! That's different! I was thinking you'd be running through the hills with a rock and a sharp stick. ;) Well, still sounds like a great time!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

@Bruce & John: Mangoes are in season during the summer months - especially June & July. When were we at our house in July I must have collected a 100 or more mangoes from our driveway every morning.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for Vieques Frequent Vistors

lucky you!