We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month to go to Vieques?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best month to go to Vieques?

All the websites I have ever looked at about timing a trip to PR says "The best time to avoid the crowds is the low season between May and November." But lets face it, not all sites (even "official" ones, really kepp up with the times.

Is this true for Vieques? Are there certain months that are more over run by tourists than others? We were thinking late June, but I saw in some other TA forums on PR that June and July are to be avoided.

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

THB

Charlotte USA

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

Hi tarheelblue73,

I have been to Vieques twice - once in late May & once in mid-March. I have to say I prefer March, which I think is the better weather month (less humidity and not as hot). That being said, Vieques is never overrun with tourists, which is one of the things we love about being there. It may be busy at Sun Bay over a holiday weekend with folks coming over from PR mainland to vacation, but there are many beach areas where you will find you may be the only ones present. It is never crowded like Wrightsville Beach or Myrtle Beach, so choose your time to go and enjoy! You may want to look up PR holidays on a calendar, so you can avoid those days, but I doubt you'll have any real crowd issues. Be sure to get your rental car reserved first, once you decide on your dates. Also, if you go in June, you may want to be sure you have a/c.....it's pretty sticky & hot even with tradewinds. Have a great time!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

Some people prefer to Avoid the Patronales Festival ( and others love it ) which brings crowds from Puerto Rico.

It is always in July and usually lasts about 5 days straddling a weekend.

I will post exact dates later.

Other than that the only months to avoid would be in the fall hurricane season when many restaurants and shops close down so owners and employees can vacation elsewhere.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 15:32
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

Both times I went to Vieques, it was in late May/June. It is the only time we had to take the kids with us since they were out of school for the summer. I enjoyed the experience with less crowds, as if there are crowds on Vieques. I wouldn't like to go during the summer/early fall months, though.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

Around Thanksgiving and Christmas is the only times you are likely to find a "crowd". But relative to Vieques, crowds are low.

I like July and August in Vieques because the water is so warm and comfortable. You can stay in for hours and not notice any discomfort. And there are no crowds usually. Especially in August.

But like has been commented, crowds are rare and not usually a concern.

Vermont
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

We were there the week before Christmas - it was perfect. Quiet as Vieques usually is but only slightly busier than when we were there in November a couple years prior. Hot tip : if you couple it with a trip to Old San Juan, you can save a bundle at El Convento - their "low" season rates extend through mid-December.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
199 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

We have been three times...twice in Feb and once in July (a few days before the festival started). I really prefer Feb mostly because I like to get away from the snow. It was very hot in July and there were no crowds at all but almost to the point of being a ghost town. No people on a beach is very nice but no people in bars and restaurants is not so great. We were the only people in a restaurant one night and another night a bar closed up very early because of such a small crowd.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
495 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

If you are looking for that empty beach that you keep seeing in photos, avoid Patronales (in July) and possibly 4th of July if it falls near a weekend. We found the extra people on the beaches for Patronales to be a distraction. We still had the trip of a lifetime and would go back in summer, as long as we have air conditioning in the bedrooms.

8. Re: Best month to go to Vieques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 10:24