We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time from Isla Grande to SJU

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Enough time from Isla Grande to SJU

I'm trying to decide between a 7:30 am and 9:30 am flight from Vieques to Isla Grande.

The former gets in at 7:55, the latter at 9:50. Do I have enough enough time to take the later flight with time to spare for a noon flight from SJU to ATL?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time from Isla Grande to SJU

Hi,

We'd say that the 9:50 arrival is cutting it too fine. A localized storm on the main island can cause unexpected delays leaving Vieques (this has happened to us on numerous occasions). You have to count on at least 30 minutes for ground transfer between airports. Arriving at SJU you will have to have your bags inspected & tagged by the Department of Agriculture screeners. Then you line up to check in for your flight. Once checked in you must line up again to go through security. In our experience, being at SJU at least 2 hours before departure is not unreasonable.

Our experience has almost always been on Saturdays, though, which is also the main arrival & departure day at SJU for cruisers, making for a very busy airport. If you are leaving on a weekday your 9:50 may be more plausible.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time from Isla Grande to SJU

It is possible and I have done it, but I don't recommend it. You would be betting that your first flight is on schedule, that traffic to SJU is normal, and that security lines etc. are manageable.

I mostly fly on weekdays and tend to cut check-in times close and have found that SJU can be quite congested. If you do go for it, speak up when in the security line that your flight is leaving soon and they will move you to the front.

Spending extra time in the airport isn't fun but it's better than missing your flight!

3. Re: Enough time from Isla Grande to SJU

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:25
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations