We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
all over
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back

Here are my thoughts on Vieques:

Vieques is the anti Key West. There is no "big town", no major grocery stores, no partying or clubs, and only okay restaurants. Vieques isn't the right trip for everyone. Its not a great place for kids and people who want a lot to do at night...go to St Thomas if you want that. For me and my girlfriend, it was perfect. We both work in NYC and found the perfect place to escape.

Vieques is great. You can be on a great beach and not see people for miles. It was like that all week, you see people, but everyone sticks to themselves.

If you want a place to snorkel, the snorkeling is mas or menos. The sea can be rough, reducing visibility. Also, the best reefs are in the restricted area. Make friends with a local and they will take you there.

Highlights:

-> Hidden Path at Navio that leads to an underwater cave.

-> Surfing in Navio.

-> Paddleboarding trip. Great great time, a blast and lots of laughs were had. I recommend this trip to anyone. I loved it.

Lowlights:

-> Getting a drink spiked at the W hotel.

-> Not being able to get gas because the ferry hasn't arrived yet

-> Biobay tour. Very boring. Zzzz.

-> Not finding a place to eat because the restaurants close very early.

Come to Vieques to relax and unwiind. If you like unspoiled beaches, little tourists, and are willing to deal with the drawbacks, this is a great place. Beware of shootings in Esperanza though!

DC
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back

Good, informative trip report. Many thanks!

BTW, what does "getting a drink spiked at the W hotel" mean? I thought spiking a drink was when someone puts drugs in it.

all over
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back

Yea, that is exactly what happened.

i was feeling fine, but got home and the room started spinning and I got quite dizzy. I get up to get a glass of water and 3 hours later I'm asleep in my bathroom.

No damage cause, but just a reason to be careful.

Indiana
Level Contributor
805 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back

"Come to Vieques to relax and unwiind. If you like unspoiled beaches, little tourists, and are willing to deal with the drawbacks, this is a great place"

That is exactly why we like the place so much. Can't wait...we'll be there this weekend....ready, willing and able to deal with "all" the inconveniences. Glad to hear you had a great trip and "get" what Vieques is all about.

Like you said "it ain't for everyone"...and I thank gawd for that!

Curt

DC
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back

I can't wait to go back to the W for a drink!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back

Ok, so I have to ask. What about the last sentence of your post? What am I a missing?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back

Thanks for the report back. Any suggestions on where to put in an inflatable kayak (balancing fun surf and convenience to parking; 25 pounds to carry on two trips to get set up)?

Perhaps the W hotel experience was just a case of an unexpectedly stiff drink imbibed by someone who'd spent the day getting dehydrated in sunny, windy locations? It reads to me like nothing more sinister than demon rum.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 13:51
Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back

That is really scary! Were you by yourself? Are you a female? Did anyone, other than the bartender, have access to your drink? This may be more common than people think. I remember a poster on the Puerto Vallarta board saying it happned to her and her friend. They had drinks with a couple of men they'd met at their upscale hotel.

Please elaborate more on the shooting and your biobay tour.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 15:02
Quincy
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back

Ferry or plane?

Heading over there for 2 days in March and the wife will not puddle jump on the planes, so have to "rely" on a ferry trip......dont know what to do

all over
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back

Here is what happened:

I was at the bar with my girlfriend sitting outside on the patio area. The drinks were sitting unattended at the bar until the cocktail waitress picked them up. The drink was going to go to my girlfriend, but instead, I drank it. It was certainly spiked because it was not even my third drink that night and I immediately felt sick.

I didn't like the BioBay tour because it was incredibly boring to me. I like adventure and something more exciting. After the first five minutes, I was ready to leave the tour. I saw what I had to. The tour is close to 2 hours, so it felt like it was dragging on. You can actually tour the bio bay yourself if you drive down there and rent a kayak. That wouild be the way to do it.

There are many shootings in Esperansa. The locals nickname it the "wild west". There was actually a shooting outside of Duffys at 1 am when we were there.

Vieques is overall pretty safe , but you just need to be very careful. There are no gangs like in LA, but locals do act up.

all over
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back

The ferry is very, very, very unreliable.

The plane always runs on time. Honestly, I flew Air Flamenca, and the pilot had over 35,000 hours of flying time and just works for them to help his friend out. He made me feel very safe and I was nervous flying too.

If you want to make it on time and not have to worry, you must fly. Its not as bad as it looks. You can even fly a charter for $300 bucks, which will make your wife feel even safer. Culebra Air Services does charters right from SJU, they meet you at your gate, and you have the entire plane to yourself.