We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeding "wild" horses?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Feeding "wild" horses?

What's the local practice/perspective as to whether it's safe, legal, long-run kind, etc.? I've searched here and elsewhere and found nothing particularly informative. (There was a debate between a Virginian and a Marylander at tripadvisor.com/…10521529 , but I'm looking for the local viewpoint.) I wouldn't feed a truly wild animal, but I take it the Vieques horses are only semi-wild. Hand feed, leave food on ground, or don't feed?

Northern Minnesota
Level Contributor
38 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

I crossed this off my bucket list. While coming out of Sun Beach, we saw some people petting some horses over a fence. A little further ahead there were 2 horses standing near the road, I approached them to pet them. One walked away and the other turned, kicked, and I dove for the ground, just barely missed getting kick! I ended up with scraped elbow & knees from the gravel road. But thankfully that was all. Soooooooo, I vote no!

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

Unless you are a horse whisperer, I would suggest staying away unless you want a warning kick in the kiwis.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

thats the first i have ever heard of a horse kicking out.

The horses at sun bay have always seemed to be the least wild and most friendly. many of the horses belong to someone and are used to people. if you see one with a brand, that is why.

I had friends staying with me. on the way back from navio we stopped to take pics and a few horses came to us and we pet them. one stuck it's head in the car looking for food.

another time I had a few boxes of cereal I was bored of. nothing too sugary, cheerios rice krispies basic 4 and something else, I cannot remember. I poured the contents into piles on the grass and the horses came right over and gobbled it all up. but i didnt try to feed them by hand.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

I had some mango that was too ripe for my taste and I fed them cautiously by hand to the horses that walk past the entrance to La Chata beach. They LOVED them and some sugar wafers too.

But that was a situation where they approached me (smelled mango do doubt) so I didn't appear a threat maybe? Definitely hold the food at the very tip so that you don't inadvertently get bitten, the sugar wafer was a risk haha!

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

Last year we took some carrots to the Sun Bay horses. Everyone was happy till we ran out of carrots. I was taking pics when one horse came up to me,realized I had no carrots left, got pissed and bit my arm. Hard. I had to smack him with my camera to get him to let go. Still have the scar (better than a tattoo ;) I won't be feeding the horses again.

DC
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

In a word, don't.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

A friend got bit in the shoulder by a young horse she new well. It was a bad wound and got infected and was VERY painful and debilitating.

stay away!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

A horse is a force, of course, of course. Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

I tried to touch one of them near the Ceiba tree (stupid, I know). I approached from the front but in a split second the horse did 180 and tried to kick me. So, I vote "no" to feeding them.

10. Re: Feeding "wild" horses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:41