We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provisions on Vieques

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Provisions on Vieques

Hi:

I am traveling in a 6 person group to Vieques in a few months and am wondering about buying groceries, food, and drink on the island. As I understand all provisions have to be imported from the main island, I am guessing that groceries and drinks on the island may be a bit expensive.

Is there any wisdom to purchasing a few days worth of groceries, beer, and wine before boarding the ferry on the main island for both selection and price concerns?

Thanks,

Jonathan

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provisions on Vieques

It would not be a bad idea. You can stop at WalMart, Kmart, Sams Club or a supermarket on the main island and take everything with you. These stores have a bigger selection than any store in Vieques.

Indiana
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provisions on Vieques

Jonathan I see this is your first post here on the Vieques forum...welcome.

Regarding groceries there is not much difference between groceries on Vieques than what we pay back in here Indiana. Because this question gets asked a lot here my wife and I kept some receipts from our last trip. These are from Morales.

So..here's a snapshot in no particular order:

750ml of Glenlivet 12yr Scotch $28

Don Q Rum 1 liter $14.39

Case of Coronas $38

12oz mixed vegetables $2.59

Snickers 6 bars $3.99

Coca Cola Classic 2 liter .99

Mango juice 16 oz .99

Breyers Napolitano $6.89

100 Cal Oreo Box $2.99

Uncle Bens Homestyle Chicken and Rice $1.89

Lipton Chicen and Rice $2.09

Tuna Salad Kit $2.09

Dozen Eggs $1.69

Angus Beef Patties $5.79 for 8 of them

Cut Green Beans (can 8oz) .89

Grants Whiskey 750 ml $13.99

Barcadi 151 750 ml $12.52

Del Monte Pea and Carrots .89

sliced carrots .89 Can

Del Monte stewed tomatos Can $1.69

Glad Cling wrap 16/10 $1.69

Tostitos Chunky Salsa 3.79

Frozen Chicken breasts (6) $6.19

Hope this helps some

Curt

…blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

Edited: 11 April 2012, 02:04
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provisions on Vieques

To be honest, if you're only buying a "few days" worth of groceries, we wouldn't bother with the hassle of schlepping the stuff on the ferry.

The mention that you're buying groceries implies that you're renting a house, so already you will be reaping huge savings over eating out at restaurants.

The thing to realize is that, being a small island, Vieques will not have everything you're used to having back home. And frankly, at least for us, that's part of the charm. Go with the flow, find what you can, improvise & have fun.

If you scroll back in this link from our blog, you'll get some info on shopping at the local supermarket Morales, and some tips on meals based on what you can find.

bobofeed.blogspot.ca/search/label/Vieques

Carthage, Missouri
Level Contributor
204 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provisions on Vieques

Be sure to check out the fresh fruit and veggie truck parked across from the school in Isabel. I have never seen such huge avocados! Great selection of produce and a few other items.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provisions on Vieques

and further to mexicojo's comment, there is also a fresh produce street market on Tuesdays & Wednesdays.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provisions on Vieques

to echo what has been written, you should have no troubles getting what you are looking for on Vieques. The supermarkets are pretty well stocked with dry goods an liquids an the prices are basically the same as the main land.

the only thing I would say yes to maybe is buying meats an bringing them. often it is hit or miss.

another thing people shoul consider when contemplating buying provisions and bringing them over is when you do that, you give economic suipport to the main island and put the burden of refuse on Vieques. You should buy on Vieques and supports it's local economy.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,166 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provisions on Vieques

**another thing people shoul consider when contemplating buying provisions and bringing them over is when you do that, you give economic suipport to the main island and put the burden of refuse on Vieques. You should buy on Vieques and supports it's local economy.**

This is a really valid comment.

We've never really had a problem buying meat. You may not find exactly what you set out to find, so it's best to go shopping with an open mind. That steak dinner you were planning for tonight might just end up being grilled chicken. And low & behold, you find your steaks tomorrow. Just island life!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provisions on Vieques

Thanks for the above, especially the specific examples of island-squared pricing at #2.

We'll be arriving by evening ferry and getting to the ferry via John Rosario with a few hours to spare. I mainly want to spend that touring, as we've already arranged with him, and per the advice above we'll hold our main grocery shopping for Vieques. But if we wanted to make a quick stop to pick up baked goods for a first morning's breakfast along with a couple of frozen steaks, is there any particular main-island store convenient to that route y'all would suggest?

To clarify "that route": from SJO to Fajardo detouring to Loquillo beach, probably. A supermarket in Fajardo is what I'm thinking.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 17:42
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provisions on Vieques

Make that SJU. Costa Rica leaves an impression.

Atlanta, Georgia...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Provisions on Vieques

Hi TiltedFlip...

I am actually considering something similar in arranging travel from SJU to Fajardo before catching the ferry. I am traveling in a group of 6 total people and am interested in what you were able to arrange with John for your transit needs. Thanks in advance for the input on what you were able to arrange.