We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

you people are awesome!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
you people are awesome!!

just wanted to give all of you who regularly post on this site a BIG shout out. i feel pretty confident about everything my husband and i have reserved for our 1st trip to vieques next month and i learned it all from you! staying at the W (free with points!), flying in with cape air AND got a rental from maritza's even on this short of notice. can't wait to get there and start exploring beaches and reefs. guess i'll start taking some notes now on where you all have said the food is good :) i do have one question though...how do you get those coconuts open without a machete?!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: you people are awesome!!

Hi

please do a report when you get back.

as for the cocnuts, some locals bite right through.

lol, just kidding. a hammer or vise grip maybe. i have used a spade. but i think machete is best. you can get one for $8 at the hardware store. or just buy one, ice cold from the vegtable guy.

foodwise:

I like Shauna's for lunch. weekdays only and between 10 30 am and 2 30 pm. Also el resuelve for lunch. they have great empanadas.

richards cafe is nothing special in terms of decor and ambiance but they have good local food for dinner. I had dinner at el patio recently and it was really great. the food truch by the trust, near duffys makes great food as well.

next course is very good. trade winds for breakfast.

plus many others.

have a great time

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: you people are awesome!!

Hi, Liz;

sounds like you've been lurking for a while which, let's face it, we all do--- so even though you're already well informed & prepared, welcome to the Vieques Forum!

As frankipoo said in requesting a follow-up report, we'd love to hear your thoughts during or after your visit, so please drop by here again to confirm or dispute the advice you picked up in advance.

Have a great trip!

Oh, and maybe Curt has some coconut advice...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: you people are awesome!!

hey guys! marked your thoughts on restaurants frankipoo and you had me going with the locals teeth :) bruce & john - yes lurking for about a week. i was serious, you all are a wealth of info! will be happy to follow-up. and it was curt's blog that got me going on the coconuts with his awesome little find of whatever that was in the middle. think i'll be prepared with the machete!

Indiana
Level Contributor
865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: you people are awesome!!

LIz...your welcome and we expect you to be one of the ones that share valuable info after your upcoming trip!

Regarding coconuts...it's the husk that's the hard part, for me. The first time I opened one I didn't have a knife or anything. I used a piece of shell to score the outter husk so I could peal sections of it away, much like a banana. Once you get all that off and are down to the "nut" I just punch a hole through one of the eyes to get at the milk. Then it's a matter of scoring the center of the nut all the way around. Once you get it scored really good just bang it on a rock or something and it will crack right open into two havles.

For coconut water, green coconuts, just take a knife and insert it at a 45 degree angles around the top, making a little circle no more than an inch or two. You can pop the top right out of green coconut to get fresh coconut water.

Did you know that coconut water is high in potassium and antioxidents. Also..unless the coconut has been damaged, it is likely sterile. There have been cases where coconut water has been used as an intravenous hydration fluid in some developing countries where medical saline was unavailable.

Have a great trip Liz...

:-)

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: you people are awesome!!

The easiest way to deal with a coconut is to buy it at the vegetable truck on 997 near Isabel.

Not only is the hard part done but it is very cold, a real treat on the way home from the beach.

I will disagree with Franki on Richards, I have never had a good meal there. I prefer Conuco on the main drag in Isabel or El Resuelve on 997 for good authentic local fare.. The food trucks around the island are worth a visit .

6. Re: you people are awesome!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:17