We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

The prior night's libation level permitting, I often start vacation days with an early-morning run. I'm looking for suggestions for where to run on Vieques. Criteria I'm looking for (and it's not essential to meet all of these) are:

-- running near the water's edge on a long beach is good, but much prefer hard-packed sand and a level slope;

-- for other surfaces, some asphalt is fine, but my aging soles like some dirt or other yielding surface mixed in;

-- relatedly, by mile 4, my feet are becoming my own pair of barking dogs, so being chased by real barking dogs would suck;

--prefer generally level over all-hills;

--views;

--staying in Puerto Real, but could drive a bit from there to a different starting point;

--some shade would be nice (but not essential, it'd be early)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 13:52
Indiana
Level Contributor
805 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

I have myself ran from Hacienda Tamarindo into Esperanza, along the Malecon and back. I did this on our first visit. I have regularly seen people run along Playa Chiva in the morning...long beach, beautiful place to run early in the a.m.

One could also run along Playa Grande, not too far from where your staying. I have video of Lorrie and I walking along that beach if your interested. It's at the beginning of the second video of this post:

…blogspot.com/2011/03/video-compilation-of-f…

hope this helps some

Curt

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

One of the best places to run or walk is Mosquito pier which is exactly a mile long and could be done a couple of times and then run along or along side the road either going east or west from there. The pier is wonderful anytime even midday because there is a strong breeze blowing across it.

The sand roads along the lenghth of Sunbay would also be very good and meet most of your criteria, try both of those if you want to be right by the Ocean.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

Thanks!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

I am a female runner and am wondering if it will be safe for me to run in Vieques? We are staying in the Villa Borinquen area.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

As in any location use your head and avoid lonely back roads. I have not heard of any runners having a problem around here but it is always wise to use caution.

Golden Valley...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

We went to Mosquito Pier several times during our stay to go for a run. Nice and flat and you know exactly how far you've gone.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

In your videos, are you driving or walking to the beaches?

albany ny
Level Contributor
7 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

All of Vieques is safe..the level of safety is very good. Have been going to Vieques for years..the biggest issue is petty theft from cars parked at the different beaches...

New York
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

How about the road linking red, secret, blue, orchid,...camp garcia. You could tailor whatever distance you like and jump in the water whenever you'd like to cool off. It's level and traffic should be driving slowly. I've never clocked the distance from the gate to the last beach but i'll guess it's over two miles and there are options for lengthening it, like running all the way to red beach on it's access road.

10. Re: Route or beach suggestions for a 5-mile-ish run?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques