We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

Family and I will be there in July and my 8YO was asking about surfing. He's never done it.

Are there any local outfits that offer surf instruction? I know there is a surf school on Culebra - but that would take too much coordination I think.

Thanks,

Berkshires
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

Try contacting Jorge at Littleboat Sailing Co. (he also runs Vieques Paddleboarding) who might know of someone. Also might try Juan at Playa Voltios Surf and Skate shop in Isabel (he surfs). If the surf is big, it might not be a good idea for an 8YO though. Maybe try skim boarding first?

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

Summer is not a big surf season, and there is little to no surf at the present time. North Shore is the best place, though Ihave seen surfers on the south side - though that is not normal. I would also recommend Playa Voltios. Maybe this would be a good time for a beginner to learn though.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

thanks for the feedback

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

I have not found anything about surfing on Vieques period.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

Mujer DelMar is correct, summer is not the time for surfing on Vieques. Christmas time is a good bet and this year there was terrific surfing Good Friday on the North Shore. It all depends on the wind, and never ceases to amaze me how La Chata beach can be calm as a lake with great snorkeling one day and have surfable waves the next. Check out you tube for some Good Friday surfing footage.

6. Re: Is there any surfing/surf instruction on Vieques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 06:15