We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

FAJARDO TO VIEQUES

Passenger Ferries

(7 Days a week)

9:30 AM passenger

1:00 PM passenger

4:30 PM passenger

8:00 PM passenger

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

That was the schedule when we were there last week. But, I know some friends who said the Faj-Culebra ferry times had changed that week and the Faj-Vieq ferry times were supposed to change soon as well.

Don't forget there is also a cargo ferry that takes passengers - so its possible to get out there different times than you are reading on this schedule as well.

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

Believed or not, you can get the cargo ferry departing at 4 am :). Cargo ferries can take up to 60 passanger, now, keep in mind if vehicles are loaded the drivers count as a passanger, but not that many. The cargo ferry have no windows but a tv room. Passangers are not allow to leave the room for safety reasons.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

I have generally had good experiences using the ferry but you must keep in mind there are no guarantees. My daughter planned on taking the 4:00am cargo ferry this past Monday and found a truck had gotten stuck getting off - the ferry finally left around 5:30am. She had arrived at 3:00am because sometimes it leaves early as well.

It is best to keep your schedule VERY flexible if the ferry is your chosen mode of tranportation. That being said, you can't beat the price!

Vieques
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

They have added a smaller cargo ferry that is also running a few times a day and allows 60 passengers incl drivers of the vehicles and you have to sit downstairs and they turn off the lights and you can watch their movie or fall asleep for the 45 min trip. Not sure how it is going to be on rough seas, but it is comfortable and it adds a few possible trips a day. Do not have a schedule with me, but when I find it--will try to remember to post it.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

Yes, when the ferries are all working well, the extra cargo ferries will be a nice quick addition to the passenger ferry schedule as they also carry passengers.

The current ferry schedule as of June 19th can be found on our blog:

www.puertoricodaytrips.com/cargo-ferry/

Edited: 27 June 2012, 19:33
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

Hi, Does the cargo ferry take longer than the passenger ferry?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

Mmmm may be a little longer or about the same. It depends the weight on the cargo, if heavy trucks, then it slow a little. The cargo have no windows, so enjoy the old big sceen TV local station.

oakland, ca
Level Contributor
71 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

I caught the 1 pm ferry today

Lovely ride. Best $2 I ever spent

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

Is it true you need to call ahead for a reservation, or can you usually get a spot by just showing up?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry schedule - is this accurate?

For the passenger ferry, there are no reservations. You just show up early and hope to get a ticket.

If one needs to transport cargo on the cargo ferry, a reservation must be made ahead of time for the vehicle. If you just want to be a passenger on the cargo ferry, you don't need a reservation- just show up early and hope for a ticket.