We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

NC
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

So we are staying on the beach (north side of the island) but plan to visit other beaches while on Vieques.

I know many are shallow, lagoon like and many are reef protected meaning they have little/no wave action. which may be fine for my smaller one but the older one may get a little bored. he's at that age.

wondering if folks can tell me from experience which ones have more surf vs. less wave action?

my two kids always look forward to "battling the waves." they are 6 and 8. so by wave action I don't mean surfing. we usually vacation back home in the Carolinas so we are used to very small waves. but I want to make sure I can find a beach or two that has rolling waves crashing up on the shore so they can body surf, maybe boogie board. Santa Maria where we are staying is pretty placid. which will be a neat new experience, too. especially clearer water. but I need to make sure I can find waves too

cheers

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Navio is probably your best bet.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Cool. that looks very nice. are they mostly pretty placid on Vieques? seems to be th case

cheers

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Definitely Playa Navio- it's always had good waves whenever we've been. It seems to face into the usual path of the prevailing trade winds. We've often seen people body surfing & boogie boarding.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Navio had the best waves by far when we were there.

But the calmer beaches were almost as exciting, because we could walk WAY out and see a lot of fish swimming around us (awesome for non-snorkelers who don't usually get to see fish up close!) We brought nets and our 6-year-old spent hours trying to catch fish and crabs.

Berkshires
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Navio can have some pretty strong surf as mentioned above. In February, the time our family is usually there, they can crash pretty hard too, so beware with younger kids. We have found the west end of Playa Caracas to have better waves for body surfing with our 8 and 11 year olds; they roll in a bit longer and the bottom doesn't drop out on them as hard.

For calm bath like water try Media Luna.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Thanks folks, will try Navio and Caracas

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Just got back and Navio, by far, had both the best surf and the worst access road. Still totally worth it :-).

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

Gringo beach usually has big waves. especially if there is a storm.

9. Re: question about the beaches - which have more surf/waves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 05:16