We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No New Topics?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
No New Topics?

Does anyone have a new topic?

want to share your recent Vieques stories?

Ask a question or just tell about an upcoming trip?

One thing I always find interesting is asking a first timer of the bio bay how they can explain the experience someone back home. I say it's like a photograph negative. although these days Im sure there are lots of people that don't even know what a negative is. huh?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No New Topics?

Its a slow time of year frankipoo.

Am glad PR was spared Ernesto and it looks like Florence will pass well to the north of PR.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No New Topics?

I am always up for a question on PR lighthouses, and how they show to this day the way to protect any coastline. But no one ever asks about that. :(

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No New Topics?

dolphin, what do you know about the old lighthouse on Vieques? not to restored one.

are lighthouses an interest of yours?

VG, its like a hurricane sandwich

lol

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No New Topics?

AH! a question.

Puerto Ferro Light, also known as Faro de Puerto Ferro, is a historic lighthouse located in the Vieques, Puerto Rico. The light was first lit in 1896. It is one of the last minor or local lights to be built by the Spanish government. The light was of crucial importance to cross the Vieques Passage. The original lens was a Fifth order Fresnel. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1926 when it was abandoned.

During World War II, the United States military purchased about two thirds of Vieques as an extension to the Puerto Rican mainland's Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, including the area surrounding the Puerto Ferro Lighthouse. The US Navy continued to use the island for military exercises after the war. As a guide to navigation in 1944, the lighthouse was replaced by a lamp on a metal tower 56 feet high with a range of 7 miles. The Puerto Ferro Lighthouse is now part of the Vieques National Wildlife Refuge.

Although in poor condition, the structure is a good example of official neo-classic minor lighthouse style. To this day the Navy refused to allow anyone near the original lighthouse.

They claim there is asbestos inside the light and the light and the grounds around it are contaminated with lead.

I have several pictures, but don't know if its possible to add them here. You can see pictures of the new light and others in Puerto Rico here: …homestead.com/prlights.html

"Are lighthouses an interest of yours?"

Well you could say that. Amongst other things I am the President of the United States Federal Charity that works to "rescue" Puerto Rico Lighthouses. Right now we are focused on Faro de Punta Tuna. It has the same contamination issues as described above with Faro de Puerto Ferro.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No New Topics?

Are there any plans to recue the old lighthouse in Mona Island?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
792 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No New Topics?

I am sure we will have questions soon! We will be coming to Vieques (and Old San Juan) for our honeymoon in late October. First 4 nights will be at the W to unwind after the wedding. Biobay visit and a car rental to explore are on the docket. We may need to add some lighthouse scouting now, too!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No New Topics?

I started a Pinterest Board with photos I've taken around the island over the years. In the collection is a picture I took of the lighthouse at Puerto Ferro when I biked out there one day. pinterest.com/CasaDosChivos/vieques-beaches/

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No New Topics?

SMS,

as of now the answer is no.

Only non-profit 501c3 sub 509a, ( US Federal Charity) and some 501c3's (Non-Profit corp) can get a hold of them, which takes years. Also the naming of "restoration of lighthouses" must be in the original By-Laws of the company. Second issue is the cost, most restorations run at least 8 million dollars. Some on the Great Lakes have costs approaching 100 million. Biggest issue is usually contamination abatement.

The US Coast Guard officially walked away from 605 lighthouses on late 1996. Saying that they use GPS now and lighthouses are obsolete.

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No New Topics?

Beautiful views from the lighthouse there. I hope they open the grounds up soon, even if the lighthouse remians off limits.

pa
Level Contributor
801 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No New Topics?

Just got back from our first trip to Vieques.We stayed 2 night and did the bio bay, we had wanted to do the bio-bay in clear canoes ,but the guy wouldn't commit to any times in Aug. because of the weather so he said wait till we arrive at the island. We decided not to take the chance as that was the main reason we were coming so we booked through Abes. It was definitely a unique experience, my husband thought it was all some how fake, but as you start to paddle and see the oars and canoes going through the water it glows a light blue, you can run your hand through the water throw it in your lap and it almost sparkles we saw a couple of fish jumping and of course their glowing also. It was a cool trip and wish our young adult children could have been with us. So maybe someday.. We did rent a jeep which is definitely necessary if you want to go off the beaten path, though it would have been nice if in the national reserve they would have had some signs,how to get to the bunkers etc and get back out we just guessed our way around and hoped it was right. We did enjoy our time there,but don't recommend the place if you don't want to go to the beach.One lady said a family complained about the area because her husband doesn't like going to the beach.. I say don't go to a small island what do you expect?