We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

Charlotte
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

When we were in Vieques in January, we noticed that any time we went to the ATM, all of a sudden there would be several other people in line behind us. We figured out the reason when our friend got through with his transaction (or so he thought) in front of us and we stepped up and there on the screen it said something about allowing another transaction. We ended our friend's transaction and were careful to finish ALL the steps in ours. The ATM we used was the one on the main street, but there are cheaper ones at the grocery store and one of the gas stations. (By the way, when we finished our transactions, the two separate couples who had "arrived" right after us just drifted off after we thoroughly finished our transaction.) Be careful at the ATM!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

That sounds like a Banco Popular ATH machine. When the ATH machine asks if you want another transaction, it will require you to re-enter your PIN in order to start the "other" transaction.

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

I don't think that situation is specific to ATMs on Vieques. I've used ATMs all over the world and in almost every instance the screen asks "if I want another transaction". You simply touch the "No" response.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

Caribsurfer and Ray are correct.

most bank ATM machines ask if you want another transaction.

you have never noticed this?

No matter where you are people should exercise caution when using an ATM.

the lurkers that disapeared may have been hoping for a handout, i doubt they were waiting to pounce on an unattended ATM

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

Agree with all the posts above. All ATMs around the world do this. But you will still have to re-enter your pin to finish the new transaction.

Charlotte
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

I worded my OP incorrectly. I'm quite aware that the systems ask for another transaction having used them for decades just as you have. If there were not something different and possibly a problem, I would not have posted this. On this particular ATM, AFTER we answered the specific question for another transaction, it left our current transaction open with another question. I can't remember the exact wording, but anyone used to US ATMs would have thought they were through at the point of saying no to an additional transaction, receiving their receipt and card back, but not so. There was still an opportunity to access it. I find it interesting that everyone feels the need to correct everyone without thinking perhaps the person has a clue... All I wanted to do was to help others not make a mistake - you'd think that would be appreciated. For those of you who find this useful, enjoy your trip to Vieques. It's a great place!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Charlotte
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

No Frankipoo - it was not a handout situation - we're used to that. We watched them after we got back in the car and they did the same thing a few minutes later when someone else walked up - it appeared that were trying to see the access code. Just trying to help others.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

Thank You for your heads-up, I personally will pay closer attention,.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

Was this a bank ATM or a free-standing one? Did you access the menu in english or spanish?

Charlotte
Level Contributor
56 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

Free-standing one on the main street. One of the previous posters identified it. English was the language.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware - FINISH your ATM transactions

I meant if the ATM was from a bank as opposed to a private one, like those you find at gas stations. The general advise is never to use those private ones, because they can tamper them to retrieve pin codes. They use to do that in NYC all the time.

If it was a Banco Popular ATM as posted above, then these ATMs do not keep your card during the transaction. You just swipe it at the beginning. I use their ATMs all the time and always use the english menu. After you end a transaction, it asks if you want to do another transaction. If you say yes, it goes back to the options menu, but then it will prompt for your pin code. If you say no, then it thanks you and the transaction is finished. The general advise is to always wait until the screen goes back to the welcome screen.

We do appreciate the time you took to write your post. We just want to clarify the details because people might think that ATMs here are different from the ones in the US (our banks have the same credentials as any bank in the US as we are part of the US) or that they are more prone to scams. I think what happened was that the person in front of you inadvertently hit "yes" when asked to do another transaction.

What is important to note is that here (or anywhere else) you might find people lurking around ATMs, on the lookout for people who take a lot of money out and are not very discrete, or trying to steal your pin code. One can never be too careful.

Mentioned in this post