We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions and advice please

Virginia
Level Contributor
74 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions and advice please

Thanking you TAdvisors and contributors in advance- what would I do without these forums, making planning my trips almost as much fun as the travel itself!

Heading to the island with a pal in early February for two weeks, considering a mix of house rental and hotel/guest house stay. Looking for suggestions for small house rental on Carib side, perhaps near Esperanza. Will have Jeep, like to dine out, go for drinks but otherwise appreciate privacy. Pool would be great. Similar suggestions for hotel/inn/guest houses again with pool. Planning to book a trip with Little Boat, do Bio Bay, beaches, kayaking (we do a lot here). I'd like to treat my friend to some special experiences; she spends her life caretaking others and needs some pampering. Ideas? Again, thanks-

Indiana
Level Contributor
875 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions and advice please

Remember that when you have to transfer from one place to another you lose some time. Most of the houses don't have check-in until early afternoon so you'll have to be driving around with your luggage in the Jeep. Just something to remember. I know because we did it that way for a couple of years.

As for a B&B I would check out the Hacienda Tamarindo. We stayed there our first trip, carib side, pool, breakfast (they'll even pack a lunch for the beach). Nice place ...not particularly ostentatious.

As far as houses to rent, you can spend a little or a bunch, just depends. We liked staying at Quinta Jabali and Casa La Vista (regardless of all the locks). Both are very quite places and both have pools.

We've got more info on our blog, you can check it out if you like:

…blogspot.com/search/label/rental%20house

Hope this helps some

Curt

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions and advice please

I'd do what we just did -- stay at one lodigng on Vieques for most of two weeks, then spend a couple of nights in Old San Juan, where we (esp. my wife) loved El Convento.

I wouldn't put much emphasis on house location, except in terms of view/noise/breeze. No drives are far, and the best beaches will all require a drive anyway. (Even Sun Bay -- you can walk there from Esperanza, but if you're already renting a car, you'll wind up using it.)

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions and advice please

consider Hectors by the Sea

pa
Level Contributor
843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions and advice please

I vote for Hectors By the Sea! Just stayed there Aug 9-11 and thought it was great !

Virginia
Level Contributor
74 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions and advice please

Point well taken re: making a move. Agreed. I've read your blog and trip reviews Curt and TFC, and I particularly appreciated the video and the pros and cons. Frankipoo and 5cheers- thanks for the heads up on Hectors- KILLER photography! I've already sent off my inquiry.

One other inquiry: Our flight arrives into SJU at 4pm, so according to my calculations, our options for flights to the island are pretty much limited to VAL from SJU at 5:30 and biting the bullet on cost, correct?

pa
Level Contributor
843 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions and advice please

You could rent a car drive to Cieba airport and fly out the next day with VAL.Also could make a stop at El Yungue Rainforest if you haven't done that either on the way down just depends what your interested in.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions and advice please

You can get a cab for about $90.00 at the airport .Fare will be assigned by the Tourism Company right outside baggage claim and head for Fajardo and the ferry that leaves a 8PM. BUT you could just bite the bullet and go one way with Val orCape Air and return some less expensive way.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions and advice please

i think biting the bullet for the one time flight is best. and like wholegrain wrote, return economically. like renting a car from Ceiba and checking out el yunque or something else on the way. otherwise fly back into Isla Grande

if you have only carry on and your flight is on time and you rush off the plane and into a cab, you may make the 5 15 from isla grande. but it isnt worth the risk I think.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
504 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions and advice please

If you are still considering a B&B type "treat" for your friend for a portion of your trip I would highly recommend Hacienda Tamarindo as well. We loved the casita's privacy and extra space to spread out, though a room in the inn would've sufficed. The pool is very nice, the views on the website are exactly what you get (gorgeous), nice trade winds, and delicious hearty breakfast everyday (so filling that we rarely ate much of a lunch).

Virginia
Level Contributor
74 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions and advice please

Great idea to do the more expensive, direct route to get to the island and opt for a more economical and leisurely return. Thanks all!