We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the most of my time on Vieques

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Making the most of my time on Vieques

Many of you know my blog....and I want to get more Vieques content out there to help promote the island. I will have 54 hours in Vieques next month. I need to use as much of that time as possible to "do" the best of Vieques. I am looking for people's favorites- snorkel spots, sunset spots, beaches, hiking, tours, off the beaten path etc. Note- this is not a vacation for us, this is work, so we will pack in as much stuff as possible! We have already done and written about the biobay and fort (but maybe we will do a kayak trip of the biobay this time, but we will be going at a bad viewing time....).

Also- which beach roads still are not paved...we went last time to Blue beach and it was a bear!

Please either reply here or PM me.

Also, does anyone know a car rental company that charges an hourly rate after the 24 hrs. I will be calling some places in the am, but would like to narrow down the list!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

well, i think black sand beach is a must for you to explore and report on. as well as the beaches that offer the best sea glass and shell collecting. I know wholegrain knows which better than me so i will just give you the beach I go to for glass and shell collecting. it is down the street from the cash and carry. pass the basketball thing and the cemetary. when the road curves to the right, there is a small area to park at and a path that runs along the property fence(fence on right) down to a small beach full full full of shells and some good glass.

rompeolas beach snorkeling

blue beach snorkeling, along right side rocks

ALL the restaurants

go to playa grande at night and check out the stars. although with a bright moon its not so spectacular. but then hanging out at the beach in the moonlight is pretty cool too.

ofcourse the museums and galleries.

My friend does alot of hiking on the west end. i will ask him for a synopsis and write again.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

also, walk the road to garcia beach. the beach itself is enough of a reward, but you may find yourself walking through butterflies as well. i dont know if it is constant or seasonal but i have experienced it a few times. lots of butterflies flying around there.

also check out the huge boulders. i can't explain how to get there, hopefully someone else will. i think that is the site where the bones of the oldest living man(maybe just in the caribbean) was found. can someone elaborate please.

talk to Mark Martin at the VHCT. he will really be able to help.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 13:55
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

We'd love to see some cool shots from the Puerto Fero lighthouse.

Frankipoo mentioned cemetery & it got us thinking that the cemetery on the western edge of Isabel II has some of the best views on the entire island. Never been inside it, but it's probably pretty interesting.

The old schools along 201 in Puerto Real have a dilapidated romance to them that we've always admired, and some "heroic" architectural features for such unassuming little buildings. They need to be well documented before they're lost forever!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

really excellent points! there is also some very classic architecture in Isabel 2 as well.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into them and make a point to visit those areas.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

Don't forget the Playa Grande Sugar Plantation ruins!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

Yes! That was on my list. I love old ruins! I won't be there for the Trust's tour, but we will do it on our own.

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

I've read here that the ruins are found by heading south before the pier - does anyone have a map that they can post with them marked? I'd love to check them out in November.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

@MIlady_27: You turn left at the first road past the pier (not before). You'll see an old derelict helicopter landing pad on the left after you've made the turn. Then follow the road a bit until it veers to the left. At the spot where the road veers to the left is an area to park. You'll see some signs there about the ruins and several well-worn trails leading into the thick vegetation.

This Google map is centered on the road you turn left on to once to pass Mosquito Pier. On this map that turn is marked with the word "Mosquito".

https://maps.google.com/maps…

Mackinac Island...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Making the most of my time on Vieques

Thank you ViequesGuy!