We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must go-to beaches?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Must go-to beaches?

I am at vieques right now and am planning to rent a car for a day to explore a couple beaches. Which are the must see, best ones?

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must go-to beaches?

Navio

Red

Garcia

Blue

Indiana
Level Contributor
842 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must go-to beaches?

Playa Chiva turnout #10.

Drive out along the Atlantic side to the old Cieba tree.

If your advernturous head to Garcia and then take the path on the very end of the beach all the way up to see the cliffs.

Our fav is playa plata...but is it a must see? I dunno. We love them all... Escondida, Caracus, Secret, Sun Bay, Playa Grande. There's a lone palm out on Green beach that's right on a point near some concrete debris that I think might have been the old pier. It's an interesting spot because you see the big island so well from there.

Drive out to the eastern edge of La Chiva, near the point closest to Blue Tang reef. Watch the sun set...maybe catch the green flash. Just take some time to enjoy it all, doesn't have to be anything spectacular...that's what Vieques is all about. My wife and I did just that this past Feb. It's at the very end of this post on our blog, I took video of it. Nothing fancy..just a couple taking the time to enjoy the beauty of Vieques. You can find it here if your interested:

…blogspot.com/2012/02/curt-takes-hike.html

hope this helps some

Curt

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must go-to beaches?

If you only have one day and you actually want to enjoy some time at the beaches rather than just do drive-by sightings, we'd suggest the following:

In the morning head to the Reserve and go to Playa Chiva (AKA Blue Beach)- see Curt's point #1

Pick up some lunch at Sol Food (truck) as you leave the reserve (on your right just outside the gate as you're leaving)

Head to Sun Bay Park & go to Playa Navio (our personal #1 beach). It's the furthest out beach in the park & it's a rough ride, but with a big time payoff on arrival! Great waves & tradewinds. A sunset swim at the main Sun Bay beach on the way out can be a pretty great end to a day, and it gives you a chance to also visit the washrooms there if you need to.

Head into Esperanza for a nice refreshing Margarita before returning to your hotel.

4. Re: Must go-to beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 01:18