We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prime Rib?

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Prime Rib?

We're here! :) Got here on Sunday, and am happy that I have a full 10 days ahead of me before I have to head back north!

We'll be here for Christmas day, and our family tradition is to do a standing rib roast with yorksire pudding. The house we've rented is great and I could definitely do it in this kitchen, but am wondering if I have a snowball's chance in hell of finding a prime rib roast on this island? HA! I'm almost laughing at myself as i type it. I had the hardest time just finding ground beef at Morales today so we could grill burgers.

Hey Curt, we were on La Chiva today, but didn't see any of your sweet little handywork. I guess we'll have to build our own - which is fun and I don't mind - but you do it so much better! :)

Thanks all.

JG

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prime Rib?

Don't have an answer for the prime rib question, but if you head out to La Plata you should find one of Curt's shelters there, we sat under it last week (thanks Curt!) There were actually three but I could tell Curt's because it had the holder for his tunes : )

Have a blast!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prime Rib?

Hi

try Buen Provecho in town. it is a few doors down from the bank(towards the water).

They have the best meat selection. If they dont have it, they likely will be able to get it for you.

BTW, what time is dinner, sounds fantastic.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prime Rib?

You might need to take the morning ferry over to Fajardo and hit a grocery there. It might be to late, but maybe not. Kansas City steak online ships in dry ice and they do stock Standing rib roasts. We do the same for our Christmas Dinner. Mines on order at the grocery for Christmas Eve pickup. Sorry, just checked. They only ship to the 50 states UPS. Maybe Sams club.

Edited: 18 December 2012, 14:43
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prime Rib?

Save yourself the hassle! call Chris at Buen provecdho, and order it. It might be expensive but not as expensive as a trip to PR. Standing rib is not a Christmas tradition in PR and I doubt you would even find it in Fajardo. Maybe at Costco or Sams. There is a Ralphs now in Fajardo, but I have never been in it.

So save A trip, to Fajardo a rental car and membership to one of the above if you do not have it and get Chris to bring one over.

Isla de Vieques...
Level Contributor
218 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prime Rib?

Just at Buen Provencho this afternoon and there was a sign for rib roasts, so you should call and order/reserve.

Indiana
Level Contributor
810 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prime Rib?

I built cabanas on La Plata and Garcia and I'm so glad others are getting to use them. In 6.5 weeks I'll be back to make repairs.

Enjoy yourself and don't forget you owe us a trip report.

:-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prime Rib?

Thanks everyone! We didn't make to Buen Provecho before they closed today, but tomorrow will make it for sure. I can live without the rib if need be, but would be cool to continue the tradition here :) I smell a new tradition in my future, Prime Rib in Vieques for the holidays!

Curt - somehow I thought you'd been on La Chiva. Guess that's why I didn't see any!

Frankipoo...c'mon over :)

8. Re: Prime Rib?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 05:16