We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking recommendations?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking recommendations?

Hi friends,

A few of us would like to do some kayaking. Not in a tour, but on our own. We're all experienced kayakers back home, although we don't have oceans there - just big lakes and rivers.

Anyone have some recommedations for a place to get kayaks? Will they deliver or do we just depart from their location?

I remember Curt posting about kayaking to Lemon reef. Would love to do something like that if i can find out where that is and where we need to depart from. all ideas and recommedations are welcome. Thank you all so much, you make our stay here on Vieques so much more enjoyable - you're like our private concierge :)

Julia

The Hideout Outdoor Activities
Horseback Riding Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Bieque Eco Trips - Tours
Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Blue Waters Caribbean Adventures
Horseback Riding Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Black Beard Sports
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Berkshires
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

Curt can speak to where he got his kayak, but I think he said he got it delivered to Playa Plata (aka Orchid or Silver beach), which is where you would leave from. It is to the South and a bit east of Playa Plata, and a ways offshore (Google earth says about a mile). I think it would be a good idea to sail out there with Jorge and Litteboat Sailing to see just how far it is, and what the surf out there can be like. Jorge is an excellent guide and a kind man. A much simpler trip is to rent from Blue Karibe in Esperanza, roll the kayaks across the street and just paddle out to Cayo Afuera just off shore. I did this with a friend and our kids (7 or 8 at the time) for a snorkel around the island. It is much less vigorous than getting to Limon Reef. You could also paddle from La Chiva (aka Blue Beach) to a mooring off of Isla La Chiva (if you go there, you might see where the mooring is because it is used often by tours) and have a snorkel around there. Stay off the island though (see earlier threads).

Let everyone know what you choose to do, and have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Esperanza Inn
Esperanza Inn
312 Reviews
Puerto Rico
La Chiva
La Chiva
702 Reviews
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

Check these websites:

http://aquafrenzy.com/

http://viequesadventures.com/

Edited: 19 December 2012, 05:36
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

I belive Aqu frenzy is ow defunct. Tim moved away about a year ago.

Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

I got my kayak from Donty, a friend of Jorge who owns Little Boat Sailing.

The video of that trip can be found here:

…blogspot.com/2012/…lemon-reef-via-kayak.html

I have the trip mapped out on the video (aerial shots from google) plus at the very end of it I have Donty's phone #. When we were there in Nov I spoke with Jorge and ask about Donty and if he was still renting kayaks, he told me he was.

hope this helps

Curt

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

Thanks all.

Curt - does he deliver they kayaks? And if so, to which beach? How long did it take you to kayak out there?

Indiana
Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

Yes Donty delivers to the beaches. Doesn't take long, just give him a call.

Curt

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

We had a great day kayaking, although it was quite windy and was pretty challenging on the way out there. Thanks for the lead. Donde was a little late, but it's because it was pouring rain over where he lives. It was sunny at La Plata.

BTW, Curt, all the cabanas were down. We attempted to rebuild one while we were waiting for Donde. But it had blown down by the time we came back from our kayak trip. Some day you need to do a detailed video on cabana building techniques. :)

8. Re: Kayaking recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 05:15