We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

Hi all,

I had convinced myself it was worth the $100+ more for our party of four to fly from Ceiba rather than ferry over, but I just realized in my haste on the Vieques Airlink site that fares were quoted per leg, so now at $260 more, round trip, for 10 minute flights... I'm not so sure.

I understand that the ferry ride can be rockier on the way over, plus we'll be in a hurry for our one day on the island, so still seeing if it makes any logistic sense to consider flying there and ferrying back? We will have a rental car from San Juan, which will of course be inconveniently parked if we take two different options.

Unless any of you has any ideas? How far is the ferry from Ceiba airport? Is there reliable and affordable transportation between the two?

Taking the ferry both ways would be of course more budget-friendly, but if it is complete and utter madness and we might not even get on the ferry, my husband will lose his itty bitty mind.

This will be a Friday in January, in just a couple weeks. How has the ferry been running, and is there a way to make this reasonably hassle free?

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

The ferry has been consistently plagued with problems for years. As you were told previously, it is fraught with uncertainties: breakdowns, bad weather, rough seas, overbooking, etc., plus residents and cargo take precedence over nonresidents.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 02:00
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

There is no transportation from the airport at the former naval air station in Ceiba to Fajardo and vice-versa. Most people rent a car to get around.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

PR explorers info is very our of date! Things change!

first off we now have Ferries almost every hour, by private contract and they have proved quite reliable.

there are publicos at tne Ceiba airport that meet the flights and will take you to tne ferry terminal for about $12.00.

MA
Level Contributor
386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

wholegrain, would you place a lot of trust in getting on the ferry of choice if you're there reasonably early, or is it still pretty hit or miss? Pretty rough crossing potentially this time of year, or has that improved with new craft? I read the newer boat which is usually midday is much better, but you never know for sure which you'll get.

Oh and do you know if publicos also meet the ferry to go to the airport? Thank you!

Edited: 26 December 2012, 02:58
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

if you decide to fly there and ferry back, it might be easier overall to take your family to the airport, early. then go park by the ferry and take a cab back or you can get a cab from the airport to follow you to the ferry, or you follow him so he can show you the way.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 03:23
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

To answer the question you asked. There are cabs/publicos at the airport that will take you to the the ferry. But the Publicos that meet the ferry have regular runs and go either downtown Fajardo or to Rio Piedras.mTney will be stuffed with 16 passengers and you are unlikely to find one willing to take you back to the airport at Ceiba unless you make advance arangements. There are several car services in Fajardo that can be booked ahead.

The trip to Vieques is the most likely to be rough. The return would be smoother. I do not know first hand what the contract boats feel like in rocky conditions as I seldom take the ferry.

You might consider having the driver fly both ways and drive to the ferry dock to meet you. Financially It would probably work out the same as the whole group of you taking a cab somewhere . They usually charge by the person from the Ceiba airport. The drive is less than 20 minutes and if you have a smartphone the map function should help you find the dock, it is fairly straightforward.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

Thanks for the update Wholegrain, for I was there this past June and it was a fiasco and there were no publicos at the airport. Sounds like the ferry system was privatized, is that so?

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

Sort of!

government ferries still operate a schedule but are now augmented by runs from a private company,

Edited: 27 December 2012, 01:44
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

The ferry service to both islands should be completely privatized as the international airport has been.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 02:54
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Over, Ferrying Back -- Rental Car Logistics

Thank you for the info.

I have a similar question. How about the ferry from fajardo to culebra? Is the rough? And how long does it take? Around one hour and half?