We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieques Island planning help

Which Isla de Vieques hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los angeles...
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Vieques Island planning help

I was so happy to find this active board regarding Vieques Island!

We are heading there for the first time in early April for a short 4 night trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our main goal is R and R, so we do plan to spend a lot of time on the adult beach at the W.

Hoping you could help me with some planning!

1. We do plan to rent a jeep for a day to see some of the other beautiful beaches. With our limited time having a jeep (one day), please let me know which beaches are most beautiful to visit and how to best spend that time with the car.

2. Also, we will be there about 4 days before a new moon, so I'm assuming that would be pretty good for the bio bay tour. It seems to be very highly and enthusiastically recommended, so I'm assuming we should book it, even though we are only there for 4 nights?

3. We would like to get a taste of the culture by eating outside of the hotel. I have read the Esperanza and Isabel are close by villages, but if we don't have a car each night, is it feasable to get to these villages by taxi?

4. Also, please send me your ONE not-to-miss restaurant, in case we can only get away on the night we have a car... (which i hope isn't true)

Thanks so much!

dina

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieques Island planning help

You should arrange to spend time in Esperanza and have dinner there the same night you take the bio-bay tour. I don't use the phrase must-do, but if I did, I'd use it for the bio-bay. The name of the best restaurant in E is slipping my mind, but you can find it easily.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 01:24
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieques Island planning help

If you want to see the best beaches in the nature preserve, you better rent a jeep and not a car. A car will not access those beaches (Blue Beach is the best IMO) as the road is unpaved and full of pot holes and if it rains, mud holes.

Check www.biobay.com for the moon watch calendar which will tell you the best days to visit the bio-bay.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 03:37
Catskill, New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieques Island planning help

Asking for the "best" beach is like asking what is the "best" car I should by. Not as many variables of course, but beaches differ and what you consider the best, may not the best for everyone. That being said, I love Red Beach because there is a cabana, if you want one, the water gets deeper more quickly and there is a nice place to snorkle of to the left. Blue beach I love for the privacy, but the water is shallower and there is often alot of seaweed in the water. But that may have been due to winds of something. Just one word of advice, if you have a choice between a week-end or a week-day, go to the beach on the week-day, it will be FAR less crowded than a week-end when mainland locals visit. If you are visiting Easter, it will be crowded, by Vieques standards. Sunbay is beautiful too with all the palm trees and there is a bathroom and shower to rinse off. Hope that helps. Have a wonderful time!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieques Island planning help

1) I would say spend your one day with a Jeep visiting a few of the beaches in the reserve. As mentioned before, a "best" is hard to say. But with many in the reserve close to each other, you could visit a few. I would recommend; la plata(silver) & la chiva(blue) at a minimum.

2) Do the bio bay!

3) At the W, you are closer to Isabella, but I am not sure if you can easily catch cabs into the evening to either town. Maybe the W desk could help you with this?

4) I happen to think Carambola, at the Inn at the Blue Horizon hotel, is the best restaurant on the island(more than Next Course and El Quenepo). Becuase of the quality of food, local touch, and beautiful setting!

Trying to dine there on the night of the bio bay might be tight though. In my opinion, dinning out for a nice dinner in Vieques is not to be rushed. Trying to fit it in before the bio-bay, I feel would rush it. I belive, you should be able to get transportation to/from the bio bay tour, from the W. Therefore you could go on a day without your Jeep.

In case it hasn't been mention, try to rent a Jeep for more of your stay :). There is sooo much to see and enjoy on the island!

5. Re: Vieques Island planning help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 07:18