We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

Next Course has decent food but please beware of their parking lot. We went here in December 2012 and parked at the beginning of the lot next to another car, as we were inching forward to line up with the car next to us, the front of our jeep fell downward and in that split second I thought we were about to careen off the side of a cliff since there is no way to know how far down it goes (in the pitch darkness). Thankfully the ditch was only a few feet deep yet that did not help in getting our jeep out.

The next few hours were probably the most stressful of our entire vacation as we tried to pull out our jeep using the 4WD to no avail. Even the chef of the restaurant attempted to pull out our jeep with his truck and all that accomplished was snapping his tow strap right in half. The staff told us this happens quite often. If this happens frequently, why wouldn't the owners put some sort of wooden pole or even a measly traffic cone to warn drivers not to pull up any closer??

Ultimately we had to take a taxi back to our hotel, and we dealt with this issue the following morning. We had to inform our rental company who then got a tow truck involved and thankfully they pulled our jeep out.

In the end we were stuck with the $50 tow fee that Next Course should have been responsible for. If you know your parking lot has a ditch that is a few feet deep, impossible to see at night, and your customers have gotten stuck there numerous times, why wouldn't you put a wooden post; tie some rope to block off the area, or even put a light in that spot so people can see what they are driving into. It's completely negligent on their part.

Our rental car company was not happy with them either and said they are going to stop recommending Next Course to their clients.

If you are parking at Next Course, beware of their parking lot.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

Wow!

I have been there dozens of times and never saw or had a problem.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

I went numerous times as well. This particular evening the parking lot was full and there was one spot at the very base of the driveway. That's where the ditch was.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

you think they only have "decent" food?

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

haha good catch Frank, their food is way beyond decent, at least to my taste... eating there is a splurge for us : )

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

me too

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

The food at Next Course is great for Vieques. It is "decent" food when compared to the rest of the world.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

i live in the rest of the world, in NYC. even though brooklyn has good food, the food at Next Course is on par with similarly priced NYC restaurants.

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

Alas, we digress from the intended topic, but perhaps if we keep it at the top of the forum the owners of Next Course will notice and fix the "drop off the cliff" space!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

I've been coming to Vieques for years, at least they have a parking lot. Plus there are worse roads on island then that one.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of the parking lot for the restaurant "Next Course"

At least they have a parking lot. And from the looks of things it's not the worst road on Vieques

Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques
Recent Conversations