We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - January 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - January 2013

We arrived on Tuesday January 1, flying in from Isla Grande on Vieques Air Link. Just like last trip, the flight was scenic with no problems. We stayed at Casa Ladera which proved to be an excellent choice (separate review under Casa Ladera). Due to the holiday, the supermarcardo was closed though restaurants were open. We ate pizza at Taverna which was pretty good, but $55 for two pizzas and a salad seemed a little steep to me. Given the location, I’m not complaining. Wednesday we stocked up on supplies at the farmers market and supermarcado. Then on to Media Luna which was exactly as we remembered. It had little to no waves, and is very shallow for quite a distance; a great beach for kids. Thursday we drove to Green Beach which provided the best snorkeling of our trip; saw lots of fish, a stingray, many urchins and some corals. Stopped by the Cieba tree on the way. We were told sand flies are a nuisance at Green but we didn’t experience them while there between 10 am and 1 pm. Headed to Blue beach for the afternoon and ended up having the beach to ourselves due to light rain which cleared quickly. Almost ended up locked in the preserve as we stayed til sunset, appeared the officer was closing the gate as we drove out.

Friday we spent the morning shopping for kids’ souvenirs in Isabel; had a good time walking through the shops. We headed to Sun Bay for the afternoon. We love the beauty of sun bay, the ease of getting there and the shallow water.

Saturday was spent at Blue Beach, turnout #10. Though popular, we found this the best spot for little to no waves, clean sand (no sea grass) and shallow waters. A small reef lies just 100 yards out with a few colorful fish and corals. This was great as it was easy for our 7 year old to hang on my back and experience the underwater world. Tried Sol Truck for a late lunch but they were out of food when we arrived at 2. We ended up at the taco truck near the chicken fighting ring; great food and cheap. Decided to head out for dinner with no destination and ended up at Mamasongas. Though service was extremely friendly, food was quite terrible as the burger was raw and fries were bottom of the barrel. I wouldn’t recommend this one. Sunday we hit blue beach again, then returned to our rental house for afternoon swimming. We did the Bio Bay tour that evening with Island Adventures. They do a great tour, well organized and lots of information regarding the local ecology. However, now that swimming has been banned I felt a little less enamored by the bay. Definitely something to experience if you haven’t seen it before but will probably forgo it next trip to Vieques.

Monday we headed to Navio as my son wanted to surf. The waves looked great for surfing but a little too large for my 7 year old son so we drove back to Media Luna which had perfect waves for him that day. Something to note is the changes in conditions at beaches from day to day. Our first day Media Luna was clean sand and little to no waves, though this day it had decent waves and seagrass washed up on the shore. We drove to blue beach for the afternoon, spot #10 again and enjoyed ourselves for the remainder of the day.

Tuesday we flew out in the morning, took a cab to the Vieques airport which cost $25. Flew VAL to Cieba and drove through El Yunque on our way to San Juan. Rented a minivan with Avis which only cost $40, seemed like a steal for a one way rental minivan. Return at the San Louis Munoz airport the following morning was easy.

A few thought I have regarding Vieques. IMO, renting a house/apartment with a kitchen is the only way to go. Making your own meals with a few lunches/dinners out saves significant money. Not to mention that eating out with three young children isn’t always pleasant.

Make sure to bring plenty of sunscreen, we went through 3 bottles and ended up trying to find some on the island which we paid dearly for. We packed some snacks with us, probably will pack more next time. Though the grocery is a little pricier than your local grocery, it’s not excessive. My wife and son did get bitten by some sort of bug during our stay so bringing bug spray along would be an excellent idea.

We love Puerto Rico as it’s relatively cheap, has beautiful beaches, friendly locals, a relaxed vibe and travel getting there isn’t too bad with no customs/passport required from the US. We enjoy Vieques for its unspoiled beauty, lack of development/ tourism and relatively empty beaches. This was our second visit and we are already planning our return.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
97 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

We are visiting for the first time in 2 weeks and loved your review of the island. Thanks for all the info and I too thought about bringing some snacks along.

What was your favorite restaurant? Did you find it easy to navigate the island?

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed report, it is so helpful for others planning trips. Sorry to hear of your experience at Mamasonga, we regularly go there for breakfast and its good, perhaps try that next time.

I totally agree about the kitchen/packing snacks. When we're there we eat in a good bit especially breakfasts/lunches. A rental home is the way to go IMO!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Nice review and I'm glad you had a nice time, but I chuckled at a couple of things:

"chicken fighting ring" ?I got a kick out of this description LOL.

"San Louis Monoz airport"? . I was wondering when and how Luis Munoz Marin attained sainthood. LOL

Edited: 16 January 2013, 18:28
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

great report. the info you provide will definitely help others.

thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
249 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Thank you for the detailed report. I have yet to visit Vieques but look forward to doing so soon.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Welcome to the Forum!

What a great way to kick off your contributions here; your report is much appreciated. Since you have solid experience and have joined the discussions, why not stick around & help others out with replies to their questions?

And of course, you know where to hang out while planning your return visit!

7. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 16:22
8. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 21:50
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

Hi, gallopingon;

As a courtesy to SLCTraveler35, perhaps you should start your own Trip Report post.

10. Re: Trip Report - January 2013

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Isla de Vieques