We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

W Resort, Vieques

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
W Resort, Vieques

We are going to W Resort in Vieques in March. After reading all the information about it, I am considering changing our reservations. It is my understanding from reading all the posts that the pool isn't heated, there is no jacuzzi and their best restaurant is mediocre and runs out of food and wine. (All items I was shocked to read about for a Starwood property).

What I am wondering and would like a reply to is whether or not it is actually worth going to. I have emailed them regarding a few different questions and so far I have only gotten a computer reply.

Any and all replies are appreciated. Just a side note, we stayed at the Viceroy in Anguilla last year so it you have stayed there and can compare the 2 properties that would be wonderful!! (The Viceroy was AMAZING).

Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: W Resort, Vieques

Looks like you have a lot of apprehension about the W in Vieques. Go with your instinct and go back to Anguilla.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: W Resort, Vieques

Take a look at the Casitas at the El Conquistador in Fajardo. The Horned Dorsett in Rincon and the newly redone Dorado Beach Ritz Carlton Reserve. There are some nice places.

Level Contributor
908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: W Resort, Vieques

Vieques is not Anguilla. Vieques is not even close to as developed as Anguilla. You will not find the amenities on Vieques as you had on Anguilla. Granted they're really not that far apart in the Caribbean, but it's an apples to oranges comparison. You have like adventure and making your own path to really enjoy Vieques. If your a fan of the resort life with all it's conveniences, Vieques will disappoint, imo. If you had used some sleepy little fishing village on some relatively undeveloped Caribbean island as your yardstick, then I would say Vieques is a good fit.

Just my .02

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: W Resort, Vieques

well, I did not get the impression you want Vieques to be Anquilla, I thought you were just providing a basis for people to make comparisons for you.

I do not suggest cancelling your trip to Vieques. Vieques is a wonderful Island. However if you require 5 star treatment and pampering, you may want to reconsider.

Vieques is mostly a do it yourself Island. And the rewards for doing it yourself are great.

The W gets great reviews overall though the restaurant does not. The W is not a place to stay secluded and Vieques requires some exploring to be understood and enjoyed. Make sure you make a reservation and get a rental vehicle. But dont go through the W for it. If you are using starwood points to stay there, then stay there. If you are paying however, I would say stay somewhere else. The Malecon House, Hix Island House Hectors by the Sea Inn on the Blue Horizon. Or rent a house with a pool. There are many excellent homes to rent. Use the guide here or go to www.viequesevnts.net and islavieques.com and enchanted-isle.com for listings.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: W Resort, Vieques

You will not find any heated hotel pools in Puerto Rico. Not even at the 5 star St. Regis Bahia Beach.

Level Contributor
331 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: W Resort, Vieques

Having vacationed on Anguilla 17 times and Vieques twice, we enjoyed both, each has somethinfg to offer. Anguilla had the beaches, Meads Bay in particular, great places to dine and the past 2 novembers, we vacationed at the W at Vieques. Had a great time each visit......the beaches are great but you have to travel to them which is not a bad thing. You will need a rental to get around. El Quenepo, Next Course, Mucho Gusto, etc are as good as Barrel Stay, Trattoria or Straw Hat! Just saying! You'll have a great time.

7. Re: W Resort, Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:18