We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awesome time in Vieques!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Awesome time in Vieques!

Ok everyone here is my low down on our trip. I've decided to break it down into groups to make it easier to read.

Vieques in a whole: Absolutely LOVED the island! Loved the people, the beaches, the food and now my hubby is trying to figure out if we can retire there in 7 years when our youngest goes off to college. We can't wait to go back. I've already been check flights :)

Arriving: We were 45 mins late into Atlanta from KC because of de-icing the plane. Luckily our gates were side-by-side and we made our connection to SJU within minutes BUT the attendent at the gate took my carry-on and said "we need to check it". I didn't think twice about this because usually that means they just pull it back up from under the plane when we land & have it in the walkway so it's right there when you get off. WELL not the case this time. They checked my bag & once we got to SJU I had to go through security again. Mind you our flight out of Atlanta was delayed too because of storms & we still needed to make our Cape Air flight. Once we arrived at SJU & learned I had to go through security again this made me very angry! I carry-on for a reason, not to go through security!! Anyway we get my luggage @ baggage claim & head to Cape Air where we wait for about 15 mins while the Cape Air guy is on the phone & working with someone at his counter. The couple in front of us is wanting to get on our flight. Once they reach the counter the Cape Air attendent says "we are no longer boarding that flight" I said "BUT we have tickets"!!! He was very rude and said "you are late"! I looked at my time & said "it doesn't take off for another 30 minutes, what do you mean we are late??" He hesitated for a moment & then proceeded to check us in. JERK! Needless to say we made the flight & flew with Captain Jim Beam. Yep that was his actual name. Once we landed I headed straight to the little bar outside the airport to wait for our rental jeep! ALL worries of the day gone. We are in Vieques!!

We returned on VAL with no problem & spent 1 night in OSJ (fabulous time there too)

Jeep Rental: We used Abreeze with Jurgeon and had a GREAT experience. Jurgeon always answered his phone and replied by email in very timely mannor. Once he pick us up we headed straight to do paperwork & he informed us along the way of where everything was at. At the end of our trip he took us back to the airport & had a lovely visit along the way. Only recommendation is that we didn't make it to Navio or Media Luna because you need a 4x4 jeep to those beaches. I guess that leaves us something else to explore when we go back.

Rental House: We rented a home in Villa Borinquen called Dulce Suenos. Big house (4 bedrooms) way more room than we needed. Great location. Quiet and beautiful views. 5 min drive to Isabel and about 15 mins to the beaches. House had everything we needed. Property manager even picked up a few things for us (as we requested) upon our arrival. ie: water, rum, beer, coffee.

The Green Man baker, aka Scott Appell: We called Scott before we left & had him bake/delivery scones, sticky buns and quiche for our first morning. (we had enough food for several mornings). He was wonderful to work with & emailed promptly & delivered his delicous food right on time! Highly recommend Scott the Baker!!!!

Food/Restaurants:

TRAVERNA in Isabel-delicious pizza!! Loved it so much we wanted to go back but they weren't open on the weekends :(

EL QUENEPO in Esperanza-Had my birthday dinner there. High priced but a great place. I had mofongo & it was wonderful! Nice atmosphere as well.

BANANAS in Esperanza-Good for drinks!

SOL FOOD at entrance to beaches-only open Fri-Sun lunch. Pretty good & reasonable priced. Brownies are YUMMY!!

AL'S MAR AZUL in Isabel- LOVED this little bar a block from ferry. Good bar food & great drinks! Fun atmosphere! We went there several times, we got to know the regulars and the owner. Superbowl sunday the owner Dan made homemade gumbo & rice set it up in crock pots and served his whole bar patrons for FREE! Just help yourself!! It was the best gumbo I have ever had!! Can't say enough about this little place.

Groceries- The store had everything we needed.

Gas stations-One station ran out on Sunday. Keep your tanks full.

Beaches-LOVED THEM ALL!! Favorite was Pata Prieta. Most popular beach was Red Beach. Counted about 40 people there on a Thursday. The most that was on Pata Prieta was 9. Grande beach has beautiful waves!

Sea Glass-Found a ton, could pick for days on sea glass beach which is right by our favorite bar Mar Azul so it worked perfectly for hubby to drink and I to search :)

Bio Bay-We used Abe's & it was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in my life. HIGHLY recommend. Everyone should see this in there lifetime!!! Can't wait to go back and do it again. Maybe use the clear bottom kayak next time.

Hiking Trail-Do the hike trail @Playuela. This was the highlight of our trip for my hubby. Beautiful fun little hikes!

I believe thats it! Sorry I rambled, its hard not to when you talk about Paradise!!

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

Awesome report! It usually takes just one jacka$$ to ruin a trip. Glad you were able to get past that... The pilots for Cape Air are usually pretty funny and have good personalities. We've been to BVI for that last 2 years but going to Vieques for the first time this year in May. Hope our trip is as good as your!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Forgot to mention the COFFEE SHOP!! Roy's Coffee Shop in Isabel...GREAT coffee!!!!!! Stop in. The best place ever where they serve coffee and alcohol, thought I died and gone to heaven!!!!!

Missouri
Level Contributor
83 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

thanks for the great report, sounds like you had a fabulous trip. looking forward to ours in April!!!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

wow, thats a great report. no rambling at all. Im glad you had such a great time.

how much did you pay for the green man baker?

Have a great time when you go back

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

Frankipoo he made us 6 mango scones, 6 sticky buns and the sausage/cheese quiche all that plus delivery for $66. I thought that was a tiny bit high but I really liked Scott and he was so sweet and his baked goods were yummy. I don't mind paying for great service!!

Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

Nice report. Take the plunge. Seven years will fly by in a flash. We visited, were enamoured, and bought. Just gotta pay for the place before we winter there. NICE REPORT.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

thanks for the info JJ

Lancaster PA
Level Contributor
255 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

We had Scott deliver breakfast two weeks ago. The quiche is deep dish and serves eight, there were four of us which meant leftovers :) We ordered 6 scones as well and it worked out to about 10.00/person with enough food for two meals.

One note, the scones are super healthy and really dense, not fluffy like the scones I'm used to but very good And quite filling.

IMO worth it when factoring in that it's brought TO YOUR DOOR!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

Great report! Thanks for stopping back here to share your experiences!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Awesome time in Vieques!

Agreed Travelgirl about The Greenman. I thought it was totally worth it! Can't beat homemade goodies right to your door!!!